Space Navigator and Google Earth Speed and Ground Proximity

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

DiscoNomad

Space Navigator and Google Earth Speed and Ground Proximity

Post by DiscoNomad »

Hello guys,

I have a question. I just got my Space Navigator and its really great. One issue I can't seem to figure out is that in Google Earth...when you are flying around and everything is great it seems that the closer you get the ground the slower or less responsive the input gets. I need to be able to quickly fly through a bunch of 3D buildings but unfortunately it just gets super slow when I'm very close to the ground. Is there a setting in either google earth or the preference panel of the Space Navigator that allows me to have a more responsive control on turn off the ground proximity sensitivity to speed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also if someone can verify that this is happening to them it would also help. It occurs for my on two machines in both Google Earth 5.1 and Google Earth 5.1 Pro

Thanks,
Christian
Fred

Post by Fred »

It appears you may have a rendering issue:

You may need to delete the following "Plist" files:
~/Library/Preferences/com.Google.GECommonSettings.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.Google.GoogleEarthPlus.plist
Restart your version of Google Earth.
Certain features such as Atmosphere may also lead to specific issues. You may need to turn off Atmosphere.
To turn off Atmosphere, please follow these steps:
1. Go to the View menu.
2. Deselect the option labeled 'Atmosphere.'
For improving the performance and compatibility of Google Earth on your Mac, we strongly recommend updating your graphics card drivers.
If you're using Mac OS X 10.4.0 and later, you can update your graphics card driver by following these steps:
1. Select the Apple menu.
2. Select Software Update.
3. If you don't see Mac OS X Update on this list, your system is already up-to-date. If you do see Mac OS X Update on the list, place a check mark next to it.
4. Select Install Item.
This update will deliver overall improved reliability for Mac OS X and is recommended for all users. It includes fixes for Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, RAW camera support. It also updates ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers.
DiscoNomad

Post by DiscoNomad »

This still doesn't change anything. It also does the same behavior on two other macs. I don't think that I am being understood. My issue is also found even when moving around with the keyboard when very close to the ground. It's possible that is just how Google Earth for the Mac acts. Can someone just tell me if they are experiencing the same...the closer to the ground you are the slower your movements are...especially with the Space Navigator.

Someone please help...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Id suggest you bring this to the attention of Google Earth.
Since you get the same problem when using the mouse and keyboard.
I pulled that info from their website.
DiscoNomad

Post by DiscoNomad »

Are you saying that you do not get the same behavior on your mac?
Fred

Post by Fred »

What im saying is Google earth is natively supported by the application.
In order to find out if the slowing down is done on purpose or not only google earth can asnwer that question.
If its not supose to slow down only they can address the issue.