3Dx driver not loading in Inventor 2009

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

abscissa

3Dx driver not loading in Inventor 2009

Post by abscissa »

Hi
I loaded up IV 2009 on my 64 bit machine and it doesn't load the add-in. I also have IV 11 on this machine and it works fine. SpaceBall 5000 USB

Once IV2009 is loaded up and I go to the add-in manager the 3DxInventor file is hidden. If I unhide it and set it to load on startup and check the loaded box and can open up the the 3Dx tool bar in the View menu.

If I check that menu, all the buttons, open button mapping ed & open devise settings are grayed out only Help isn't grayed out. As soon as I close IV2009 and reload it 3Dx is again hidden ... I've tried re-installing, repairing and get the same results.

Anyone got any ideas what is causing, it like it not adding something to the reg
Fred

Post by Fred »

Perform a Clean install, it appears you have a file corruption.
Before starting make sure you are logged in with full admin privileges.

1. Download the latest driver from the 3DConnexion website and save it to an easy to access location such as the desktop.

2. Remove the current driver through the Add/Remove programs. Then make sure the 3DConnexion folder in C:\Program Files is deleted.

3. Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings/your profile/Application Data or C:/Documents and Settings/admin/Application Data/ and delete the 3DConnexion folder. Check both locations to be sure.

NOTE: on Vista machines the paths to the profiles will be found in C:/Users/your profile/AppData or C:/Users/admin/AppData/.

4. Before proceeding with the next steps, It is strongly recommended that a backup of the registry be made. Instructions to create a back-up and to restore the registry can be found on the Microsoft's Knowledge Base article Q322756.

5. Under the 'Start' button and 'Run' type in 'regedit' and hit OK to bring up the Registry Editor. There are 2 registry entries to remove: Under the branches ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ and ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ and under each of their ‘Software’ folders delete the 3DConnexion folder found in each location (note: sometimes there might not be one under the Local Machine key folder).

6. Remove the device if it is still plugged in and follow this by rebooting the computer.

7. To rule out installation conflicts with firewalls or antivirus software please disconnect from any local network if applicable (with most places, depending on how their network and licenses are managed you can physically unplug the network cable after logging back into Windows), disable any antivirus programs and turn off any local firewalls. The Windows firewall settings can be accessed from the Windows control panel. All of these items can be reconnected/turned back on after the driver is successfully installed.

8. Install the latest driver previously saved to the desktop. Once the driver is installed, plug the device back in and open the 3DConnexion Control Panel (Sometimes the device will ‘wake up’ immediately after plugging it back in and other times it will not ‘wake up’ until after opening the Control Panel). Hit the Calibrate button to rezero the device motion settings. The Control Panel can be closed after this.
abscissa

Post by abscissa »

I have preformed a clean install several times, used CCleaner. I have reinstalled the driver ... reinstalled the driver and IV 64 bit add-on .. reinstall just the IV64 add-in and get the same results.

In IV11 I don't have to install the add-on for IV to get the driver to run, but in IV2009 I have to install the add-on for it to show up in Add-in Manager, althou it's hidden.

Could it not be adding something to the reg?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Inventor is natively supported try removing the plugin altogether it should still recognize the device.
You will have to manually create Macros for the button mappings.
With both versions in the pc the registry may not be recognizing the add-in.
abscissa

Post by abscissa »

Hi Fred

I have tried to just run the driver without the plug-in installed but when I do that, I don't see anything in Add-in-Manager and the SB doesn't load. but it will in IV11.

I have run 2 versions of Inventor with the SB for many years (10 yrs?) V5 & V5.3 .. V5.3 & V7 ... V7 & V11 and now V11 & IV 2009 and haven't had any problems with the driver not loading until now, but I've also just upgraded to XP 64 Pro.

Ron
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Ron,

which version of 3DxSoftware are you using?
abscissa

Post by abscissa »

Version 3.7.18