Siemens NX 8.5 and Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

michaelprichard

Siemens NX 8.5 and Space Navigator

Post by michaelprichard »

Siemens has recently released their latest version of NX with many enhancements I'd like to take advantage of, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the Space Navigator to be seen by it. For NX 8.0 and previous versions, a companion application called "3DxMagellanProxy" (available in the 3dxlabs area http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-so ... xlabs.html ) provided the software "glue" to allow NX (an X11 application, not a native Aqua Mac app) to use the Space Navigator. With the exception of beinging able to assign buttons, this at least gave us 6 axis control in earlier versions of NX and versions of the OS 10.7 and earlier.

I'm now running 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) and NX 8.5 with the same 2008 vintage 3DxMagellanProxy but the Space Navigator isn't working. Works fine in the latest Sketchup and I've made my ~/Library folder visible (which was apparently required to get the Sketchup plugin to install properly). Is this likely to be a problem with the older proxy app? I know it's not officially supported but I was hoping I might be better response here than from Siemens.
ngomes

Re: Siemens NX 8.5 and Space Navigator

Post by ngomes »

Hi michaelprichard,

We're working with Siemens PLM on precisely this topic. The issue seems limited to Mountain Lion.

SketchUp does not need the "proxy" tool, only NX.
michaelprichard

Thanks for the update. I look forward to a fix and would be happy to "beta" test anything you conjure up.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi michaelprichard,

Can you try ensuring that XQuartz is running before launching 3DxMagellanProxy?

The start order should be XQuartz > 3DxMagellanProxy > NX
michaelprichard

Confirmed that it works in the order you posted, but also note that when I try to launch 3DxMagellanProxy before XQuartz, XQuartz launches simultaneously and NX still works fine, so it doesn't appear to matter what the order is, or at least I'm unable to test the "wrong" order.