Gimp Support?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

chris_0076

Gimp Support?

Post by chris_0076 »

A little while back, i think about a year ago there was talk of being able to use the Space Navigator with the Gimp. What has came of this? Has it been abandoned, or has it just ran into difficulties?

It would be greatly appreciated if this could be finished because it would make my love for my Space Navigator 10x better.

If it has been abandoned then could someone please point me in a direction to being able to accomplish this task. Note that I have almost no coding experience outside of HTML, CSS, Basic, and little bits of JavaScript. So I guess the first question would be is, what language would I need to learn (C,C++,C#,Java)? Second would be what do you recommend for a compiler/editor, or do you recommend separate?

Then when it comes to learning about the Space Navigator would it be best to make a program that purely displays the value on the given axis? .... After that I guess I will have to hope over to the Gimp forums to figure out how to make it work.

In the end I guess this is more to learn than to really get something to work, but if it works then all the better.

Sorry if this was a little hard to understand, my mind is kinda scatter plotted right now trying to wrap my mind around how hard this could be to accomplish this with basically no experience in this field.

Thanks for any and all help,
Christopher Collins
Bryan

GIMP Link

Post by Bryan »

Dear chris_0076,

Here is a link to a previous discussionof using GIMP that you may find interesting and/or useful.

viewtopic.php?t=1917&highlight=gimp

Sincerely,
Bryan
chris_0076

Post by chris_0076 »

Yes I saw that before... but does it have the same sort of effect with Windows?

I checked into it and the Windows version does not seem to have the same file structure... it lacks the /udev/ directory and all of its contents. So I guess I will have to add it all in and hope that it works.
chris_0076

Post by chris_0076 »

Just tried it and it does not work. :cry:

I did everything that it said, I guess it is just for Linux... so now what? I guess I'll keep trying some different things and checking to make sure I did not mess anything up.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I don't know which version of Gimp you were using. I recently installed v.2.6.7, and found under Preferences>Input Controllers a Directx input controller. The axes are interpreted as key-down commands, so there is no gradual scrolling or zooming possible like in Photoshop, but it is better than nothing. I found it is better to map the zoom to the mouse wheel and use the axes for scrolling only.
brain2kx

Post by brain2kx »

hi
3Dconnexion 3DX-700029 Mouse Space Navigator USB can be use like a simple mouse?
Can be use to move windows mouse pointer?

thanks
Bryan

Not a regular Windows Mouse

Post by Bryan »

Dear brain2kx,

The 3Dconnexion navigation devices are designed to deliver a different type of input to an application than does a mouse. It was intended to work in conjunction with a mouse.

For example if a designer was modeling a 3D-dimensional object. He would use one hand to position the object in 3 dimension space with a navigation device and then continue working on the object with the mouse to add or sculpt the object.

A mouse provides a pointer (i.e. cursor), clicking capability, etc.

A 3dconnexion navigation device inputs 6 directions of motions about 3 axis and 6 directions of translation along 3 axis.

The buttons you find on our device are used to execute key stroke macros, application specific commands, and commands specific to our devices.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
brain2kx

Post by brain2kx »

i know but can be use like simple mouse?
i am graphics designer and i know the power of 3d mouse but i'm videogame's developer and i want developer particular driver that it can be use in videogames like Doom 3.
Is a nice idea
SGP

Post by SGP »

Are you suggesting that gimp support isnt worthwhile, due to the limit of the controllers function? In that case why do you support Photoshop?

Would it be too hard to implement a similar interface? Because my spacepilot works great with PS and makes navigating my pictures much quicker.

It CAN be used with any program, don't be so bullheaded about programs not being worthy due to not having enough axis. The controller could be used for any value.for example I would love to see my rotation of the cap controlling brush size or opacity. It does not NEED to be movement. Your devices have alot more scope than that, and I hope you realise fast before you start hemmoraging money. The customer is always right.
brain2kx

Post by brain2kx »

Sorry SGP, you have played to Doom 3?
it would be perfect. (only 3Dconnexion 3DX-700029 Mouse Space Navigator)
it plays to us and you reflect on the movements that the player executes. Also 3dconnexion company of it would sell many many more.