Navigation in Inventor - can't orbit around selected object?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ikikass

Navigation in Inventor - can't orbit around selected object?

Post by ikikass »

Our engineering department purchased a lot of SpaceMouse Pro units for use with Autodesk Inventor. There is one major issue that makes them less than useful.

We can't seem to orbit around a selected object (which it can when you use the regular mouse and key combinations). SpaceMouse orbits around world space (or something like that) which is seriously aggravating when working on assemblies.

Is there any way to set it to orbit around a selected part? I tried it with Softimage XSI and it works just like it should. If we could just get this same behaviour in Inventor! I have the latest released driver installed.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Barbara

Re: Navigation in Inventor - can't orbit around selected obj

Post by Barbara »

Hello ikikass -

The behavior is different in Softimage XSI because Softimage uses a plugin written by 3Dconnexion for navigation. The 3DxInventor plugin does not contain navigation options becuase AutoDesk writes the navigation controls for 3Dconnexion devices inside of the Inventor software. The 3DxInventor plugin provides button mapping commands only.

Pressing F4 and selecting a pivot point with the standard mouse or using Shift-MMB should allow you to specify a center point for the Space Mouse. The behavior can be affected by the other navigation settings in Inventor.

Since the navigation options are part of AutoDesk's software, it is AutoDesk Support works that with questions about using your SpaceMouse inside Inventor. You could let them know through their helpdesk or forums of changes you would like to see in future versions.
-----------
Barbara
ikikass

Post by ikikass »

OK, I'll try but getting AD to move on something is a bit like shovelling tar sand up hill.

Maybe 3DConnexion should seriously consider writing their own driver because as it is, it's almost useless in Inventor right now.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi ikikass -

Inventor uses the 3Dconnexion driver to identify the device - but since AutoDesk has written the navigation for 3Dconnexion devices inside their proprietary application code, it is not something 3Dconnexion has access to.

For some of the AutoDesk applications - AutoCAD, for instance, a 3Dconnexion plug-in was used through the 2010 versions. Beginning with the 2011 version of AutoCAD, AutoDesk added the navigation inside their software so a 3Dconnexion plug-in was no longer an option.

Inventor is like any of the applications where the 3D device support is native - inside the application - only the application developer [AutoDesk] can change how it works.
-----------
Barbara
ikikass

Post by ikikass »

I see. That's too bad. I don't suppose you have a specific contact at AD for this? If not I'll try to find out. Thanks.
pball

Post by pball »

When I have an issue with Autodesk I use the following to submit bug reports and such. I typically get responses back.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... id=1109794