Cannot install 10.8.4

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

aarondietzen

Cannot install 10.8.4

Post by aarondietzen »

I have been trying for about teo days to install the newest driver for mac. 1 am on Sonoma 14.4.1

I first tried installing over my existing driver (10.7) and the isntallation hung about halfway through.

I tried uninstalling wit hthe same result

I tried re installing 10.7 and installing (with restarts between steps).

I tried reinstalling 10.7, uninstalling, then installin 10.8...

No matter what I do, I cannot get the installer to work. I have emailed support but have not heard back.

I am about two hours from streamign a SketchUp modeling session and cannot get my Spacemouse working... anyone have any thoughts?
zoomer

Re: Cannot install 10.8.4

Post by zoomer »

What Mac hardware do you use ?

I am on Sonoma 14.4.1 with a M1 Mac Mini.
I installed or updated the 10.8.4 over my 10.8.3 and it worked flawlessly.

OK,
I hade to allow all hardware vendor and privacy settings again and there is the
annoying need of a restart .....
but besides nothing special here.

It just looks that 14.4.1 made my CADMouse less recognized (or a bit laggy ?)
So I often have to repeat clicks or it seems I have to target my cursor more precise
than before 14.4.1.
But I think that did not differ between 10.8.4 vs .3
(With 14.4.0 I hade more problems related to Safari)
aarondietzen

Post by aarondietzen »

I cannot get the installer to run at all. No matter the status of the old version, the new one will not finish installation. It always stops halfway in and never finishes.
aarondietzen

Post by aarondietzen »

zoomer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:40 pm I hade to allow all hardware vendor and privacy settings again
What is this setting?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

While you install you get 2-3 popups asking for permissions in Apples Privacy Settings.
(Automation, ....) and another main permission in Security, where you have to
open the link/button to Security, to allow 3DConnexion.
This confirmation option will disappear after 30 minutes.
aarondietzen

Post by aarondietzen »

I see... yeah, I am not even getting that far. I have read a couple posts about installs stalling, but have not been able to do anythin to get the most recent installer to complete.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Maybe a Sonoma 4.1 issues.

For me it worked flawlessly but on Vectorworks Forums I also read
about issues lately. Some do not get the permission popups or the
popup for Security, for others installation stalls.
aarondietzen

Post by aarondietzen »

I was kind of wondering if that was it... it feels like I am supposed to be seeing a dialog or something, but not getting it to pop up... I have tried minimizing everything to see of that helps... Maybe I will see if there is a klnown issus with OSX and try to chase that down... Thanks for the idea!
DavidO

Post by DavidO »

I have exactly the same problem as the OP...except that I am seeing the permission pop-ups and confirming them both.
But the installation still then hangs half way through.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

DavidO wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:05 am I have exactly the same problem as the OP...except that I am seeing the permission pop-ups and confirming them both.
These dialogues are confusing: they show two buttons suggesting one can be used to approve the system extension installation but that's not actually what happens. The buttons only allow users to refuse or acknowledge the information. To approve the system extension, users must go to the System Settings app and explicitly approve the request.
Nuno Gomes
DavidO

Post by DavidO »

ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:54 am
DavidO wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:05 am I have exactly the same problem as the OP...except that I am seeing the permission pop-ups and confirming them both.
These dialogues are confusing: they show two buttons suggesting one can be used to approve the system extension installation but that's not actually what happens. The buttons only allow users to refuse or acknowledge the information. To approve the system extension, users must go to the System Settings app and explicitly approve the request.
Do you by any chance know which system extension its trying to alter? The dialog does not make that clear
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

DavidO wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am Do you by any chance know which system extension its trying to alter? The dialog does not make that clear
One of the components of 3DxWare software is a system extension (DriverKit extension or "dext"). The name "system extension" is applied generically to "kernel extension" (kext) and dext modules. In other words, the 3DxWare installer is deploying a dext developed by 3Dconnexion when the system issues those prompts. It is not altering a macOS component.

The 3Dconnexion extension is named "com.3dconnexion.dext" and can be checked using the systemextensionsctl tool in the Terminal app:

Code: Select all

systemextensionsctl list
DavidO

Post by DavidO »

ngomes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:48 am
The 3Dconnexion extension is named "com.3dconnexion.dext" and can be checked using the systemextensionsctl tool in the Terminal app:

Code: Select all

systemextensionsctl list
I can fathom using the list command in terminal - com.3dconnexion.dext is showing but that presumably relates to the older version I have reinstalled. Uninstalling and then installing the latest version makes no difference to the install hanging. But I wouldn't have a clue how or when to allow an impending installation of an extension via terminal.
Prior to the current version of Sonoma (and when installing previous versions of 3Dconnexion) I was able to go to privacy/security in settings and see what was being blocked, unlock the security and allow it from there.
Now there seems to be almost nothing of consequence behind privacy/security.

Clearly the problem is this attempt to modify an extension. For if I just ignore the request dialog to allow it, the installation progress bar continues to exactly the same point where it hangs after I click on allow.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

DavidO wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:22 pm I can fathom using the list command in terminal - com.3dconnexion.dext is showing but that presumably relates to the older version I have reinstalled.
In the output of the systemextensionsctl command, you will find the dext version between parenthesis, between the bundle ID and name strings (both are set to "com.3dconnexion.dext"). If you can share that information, perhaps one of us can find out what version (or versions) of 3DxWare 10 it corresponds to.
DavidO

Post by DavidO »

Finally...This issue is resolved. The following is necessary - A lot of steps.

Note: Once in recovery mode manually altering settings on the security interface does not work. It is essential to follow the instruction in the Apple link to use terminal to issue the command to disable the SIP.

Good luck...

Start/reboot the Mac into Recovery Mode:
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 829c17/mac
or
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 8cf9a8/mac

Disable SIP
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... protection

WARNING!!! Please re-enable SIP again in step 6!!!

Reboot the machine
Launch the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
Execute the commands:
systemextensionsctl list
(this will give a list of installed/running extensions; the status of our extension likely is: [activated enabled])
systemextensionsctl reset
(note: this will also remove ANY other existing extension; likely only advisable in case our extension is the only one)
or:
systemextensionsctl uninstall 9D93Y2RD6L com.3dconnexion.dext
(note: this will only remove our 3dconnexion DEXT. A reboot will be required to finally get rid of the extension)
The status of the DEXT can be checked again with:
systemextensionsctl list
IMPORTANT: Re-enable SIP!
(Please re-enable SIP again!)
The status can be checked in the Terminal again: csrutil status. It should print “enabled”.