Can't disable driver

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pgrunwald

Can't disable driver

Post by pgrunwald »

Hi -
Hardware : Space Explorer (Yes, I understand it is discontinued)
Driver 10.6.4 (same behavior with 10.4.3) per https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/faq/ ... d-devices/
Windows OS-64 bit

SpaceExplorer works fine in 3D Connection Apps and Fusion 360, which is why I purchased it.

Issue is "3DConnexion WMJ Emulator". It gives me a status of OK but does not respond in "Properties" under USB Game Controllers Control Panel.
It is always present in Device Manager under "Human Interface Devices", even when not plugged in. "3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer" will go away when the device is unplugged. "3DConnexion WMJ Emulator" seems to conflict with other controllers and joysticks. "Disable Device" and "Uninstall Device" are grayed out in the Device Manager Property tab.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled as Administrator. The account I'm using has administrator privs.

I would like to try the SpaceExplorer in a game but if I can't, no problem. If I can't use it, how can I disable or remove the "3DConnexion WMJ Emulator"

I appreciate any help or suggestions.
jwick

Re: Can't disable driver

Post by jwick »

The "KMJ Emulator" implements the KB keys on your SpaceExplorer (Shift, Ctrl, etc). If you disable it those won't work.
It also implements Mouse button and cursor movement, which you are probably not using.
And Joystick emulation, which would normally be used for games.

I do not know of any CAD applications that conflict with it. I'd like to hear about it if you have found a conflict.

Disabling it, disables those functions. 3D functionality is not affected.

It is removed when you uninstall 3DxWare.

You can manually disable it by first uninstalling the KB, Mouse and Joystick it creates, using the Device Manager. You'll find those under their respective categories (Keyboards, Mice and..., Sound, video,...). These may be O/S version-specific. Windows is making this increasingly difficult to manually make these sorts of changes.

Once you do that, you can disable it also.
pgrunwald

Re: Can't disable driver

Post by pgrunwald »

Thank you for the reply.

The issue with the KMJ Emulator is that it is instantiated without the hardware connected. It should behave like the SpaceMouse Explorer Device Driver. It does not need to be there without hardware. I should not have to disable other non-existent devices to disable it.

It is not other CAD programs that are causing problems; it is programs that use HID Game Controllers. They tend to expect them to stay in the same order. When I launch a Flight Simulator that is expects a Joystick and Throttle, it is seeing the 3DConnexion WMJ Emulator, Joystick, and a Throttle. Some programs only can utilize 2 devices due to the number of buttons windows can support.