Unreal Engine 5.3 Support for 3DConnexion

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rombo

Unreal Engine 5.3 Support for 3DConnexion

Post by rombo »

Hi, I am sure I am not the 1st one to request for this, so if anyone knows when this is potentially coming out, let me know :D
I am asking because I was just delivered a project for camera animation in UE5.3, and this is pretty much a deal breaker for me, so I need to know if this is coming out in the next following days/weeks to see if I can accept the project :)
Sophtware

Re: Unreal Engine 5.3 Support for 3DConnexion

Post by Sophtware »

I don't know the answer to your question, and I too am waiting on the new driver.

What I don't get, is why they don't just put the code up on GitHub and let the community help maintain the driver? It's not like it's some big secret, and the community could probably make some great additions/fixes. It would only help sell more of their products. Plus, they always seem to be behind the 8-ball when it comes to releasing drivers. My guess is the development staff is over worked, so why not let the community help?
3c8n

Post by 3c8n »

This is seriously why I'm considering selling both of mine - I run the Enterprise on one box and the wireless on another. We even seriously considered making the Spacemouse an integral part of the app we're building in Unreal Engine. It takes weeks - when all the top plugin devs roll theirs out within days - after a point release. Which is laziness by the developer or they don't care about the Unreal Market because it's too small. But to @rombo's point, put it up on Github and let the dev community maintain the driver.
And today is Sep15 - when original post was created on Sep12... 3 days without any answer from the developer should tell you everything you need to know. Bye bye Spacemouse.
culturalgenuine

Post by culturalgenuine »

Hi, I've installed the plugin in 5.1 and it rotates but does not go forward, backward, up or down. I've adjusted the translation setting to 1.0 from 0.0 but nothing changes.dino game It works fine in Unreal 5.0 but only spins around in 5.1.
rombo

Post by rombo »

Of course, I am wondering the same, I presume the transition would be a lot faster with community oversight and help!
DavidV

Post by DavidV »

Hi, I am sure I am not the 1st one to request for this, so if anyone knows when this is potentially coming out, let me know :D
I am asking because I was just delivered a project for camera animation in UE5.3, and this is pretty much a deal breaker for me, so I need to know if this is coming out in the next following days/weeks to see if I can accept the project :)
Sorry for the Delay in response. We are working on the new driver and it should be released very very soon.

We are also working on steps for the plugin to be available to customers for when new version of Unreal are released.
Stay Tuned!
rombo

Post by rombo »

Super, great news! Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to give it a go!
rombo

Post by rombo »

Right, today there was an update out today, but no 5.3 driver yet, just 5.2 - Will there be another update soon with this?
amanguy

Post by amanguy »

Also eager for this update, as so many other plugins and bridges depend on 5.3, and currently working on 5.2 because of 3dconnexion.

Looking forward to it.
raizzer

Post by raizzer »

Can we get a timeline on how soon it is please?
We love your devices/software but these delays and poor communication with the community are really hurting our production.
Hope you guys come up with a solution for future releases <3
DavidV

Post by DavidV »

raizzer wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:10 pm Can we get a timeline on how soon it is please?
We love your devices/software but these delays and poor communication with the community are really hurting our production.
Hope you guys come up with a solution for future releases <3
No update on timeline unfortunately but rest assured it is soon. And as stated before, we are working on a better solution to get the plugin out to customers sooner.
peterbowenpm

Post by peterbowenpm »

This may be of interest to users of Twinmotion, which also uses Unreal 5.3 in its new 2023.2 Preview 1 release.

Asked a question about 3Dconnexion support for the Preview release, got this answer from Twinmotion support.
Thanks for reporting this. What looks to be the case here is that 3Dconnexion has not yet updated their software to be compatible with the latest version of Unreal Engine. At this time, they have only guaranteed compatibility up to Unreal Engine 5.0.2, and Twinmotion 2023.2 is using Unreal Engine 5.3. Our engineers have confirmed that using a SpaceMouse in UE 5.3 won't work, so they will need to update their compatibility.

Our development team will work with the 3Dconnexion team to look into getting this updated for compatibility.
Hopefully new 5.3 driver will come soon.
raizzer

Post by raizzer »

Guys, we upgraded our workflow to 5.3 last week after you guys stated it's coming very very soon since your plugin was the last piece that was incompatible.
With all due respect, it has been a week since that comment and It doesn't look like it's coming very soon since we can't even get a timeframe yet
would appreciate it if you guys could be more clear on the timelines.
Thank you.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

raizzer wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:08 am Guys, we upgraded our workflow to 5.3 last week after you guys stated it's coming very very soon
Version 10.8.16 of 3DxWare 10 includes support for Unreal Editor v. 5.3 and was published a week ago on Sep 27, coincidentally the same date of the above post.

It is available for download here.
Nuno Gomes
linnellaa

Post by linnellaa »

Unreal Engine forums, or checking the release notes for Unreal Engine 5.3 or later versions when they become available. This will provide you with the most up-to-date information on the software's capabilities and compatibility with input devices like 3Dconnexion.
stumble guys