CadMouse button config App by App???

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

brentbrent

CadMouse button config App by App???

Post by brentbrent »

Hi - so do I have to set up button configurations app by app by app by app by app?

Is there a way I can just set a button configuration across multiple apps? And is there a way I can set up my own RM button configuration and then use it on more than one app?

I'm going to be here all week otherwise, going through every app on my computer telling it "Yes, I want you to be the same as every other app on this computer. Yes you too. Yes you too. Yes you too...."
jwick

Re: CadMouse button config App by App???

Post by jwick »

The software can do much more than is implemented by the GUI ("3Dconnexion Properties").
Unfortunately, to create these settings requires editing XML files, which is not simple.

Could you give us examples of what you want to do, so we can forward the requests to Product Management for consideration for future GUIs?

E.g.,
What sort of function do you want to assign to your CadMouse button (which button)? There are functions that are specific to an application, therefore not applicable globally.
Do you want that button to work in every single application that way or in only some applications?

Do you want groups of customized settings? E.g., for Microsoft apps vs for CAD apps vs Adobe apps?

What sort of workflow do you want? E.g., specify one of your existing customizations to start with, and make changes based on that for only a specific application. If you change the underlying customization, do you expect to get that change everywhere you used it as a base.
Etc.

Any/all ideas would be appreciated. The more specific you can be, the more helpful it would be.

If you want to experiment with the full capabilities, but are uncomfortable editing XML, let me know. I'll help you.
This thread can be a resource for others interested in going beyond the GUI.
maschl

Re: CadMouse button config App by App???

Post by maschl »

He probably wants to do something like I'd like to NOT setup for every single app as well, like "Copy & Paste" on the 2 side buttons.
EVen though I did go through and set it up, sometimes it just won't work and will only do "forward/backwards". Very annoying and since it's sort of unpredictable, I'm afraid I might lose work through using those buttons period