Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF not scrolling, Spacemoust Compact

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jeepstang

Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF not scrolling, Spacemoust Compact

Post by jeepstang »

On my old computer I was able to (at the very least) scroll up and down a PDF document. On my new Computer with fresh install, I can't scroll with my spacemouse compact. Acrobat shows on the title bar of the 3Dconnexion configurator but no response from the spacemouse within that application.

Adobe Acrobat Reader: Continuous Release | Version 2023.001.20143 | 64-Bit
3dconnexion software (driver_version: v10-8-12_r3545)
Spacemouse Compact w/ Windows 11

Things i tired from online searches with no luck:
Preferences > Page Display > Page Layout = Single Page and Zoom = Fit Width
Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Run in AppContainer = unchecked.
mhoopes

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader PDF not scrolling, Spacemoust Compact

Post by mhoopes »

You could try the following from https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 212#p77182:

teknikal224 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:50 pm
"This is what fixed the left/right/up/down pan and zoom functionality of my 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro for me:
In Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Edit --> Preferences --> Security (Enhanced) --> uncheck "Run in AppContainer", and restart Acrobat"
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Sorry, I saw you already tried that. You could check to see that you have the latest 3DxAcr3d.api in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins. You'll find it in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\64.
Michael Hoopes
jeepstang

Post by jeepstang »

That is exact topic and potential solutions I referenced in the "things I already tried" section of my original post.
Preferences > Page Display > Page Layout = Single Page and Zoom = Fit Width
Preferences > Security (Enhanced) > Run in AppContainer = unchecked.

That post seemed to work for some, but neither of those settings changes affected my spacemouse compact response in Adobe.

it appears that Adobe is really the only application my spacemouse doesnt work in. webpages, file explorer, etc. it scrolls just fine. Adobe however, it does not. so im guessing its an adobe setting which is why i was hopeful, but so far no luck.
jeepstang

Post by jeepstang »

mhoopes wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:59 am Sorry, I saw you already tried that. You could check to see that you have the latest 3DxAcr3d.api in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins. You'll find it in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\64.
Ill give that a try! So I understand, I should: copy the 3DxAcr3d.api from C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\64 into the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins folder?

Only issue i see already is that i dont have a C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins directory. mine looks like this....
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC then i have only 4 folders in there "Esl" "Reader" "Resources" "Setup Files".

I do however see a 3DxAcr3d API file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

jeepstang wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:16 am
mhoopes wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:59 am Sorry, I saw you already tried that. You could check to see that you have the latest 3DxAcr3d.api in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins. You'll find it in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\64.
Ill give that a try! So I understand, I should: copy the 3DxAcr3d.api from C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\64 into the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins folder?

Only issue i see already is that i dont have a C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins directory. mine looks like this....
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC then i have only 4 folders in there "Esl" "Reader" "Resources" "Setup Files".

I do however see a 3DxAcr3d API file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins
So, you do have it. New installs of Acrobat Reader no longer come with 3DxAcr3d.api (since v11 - Adobe implemented it terribly for Acrobat 3D, so it appears they punted on it), but 3DxWare installation adds it there. It works fine in 2D, though I found I liked it better with zoom disabled.

Perhaps you need to copy over the latest plug-in? Seems like it should be up to date, but check and see if it's a different date or size.
32-bit: C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\32 (grab it from here).
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

If that doesn't work, you can uninstall the 32-bit Reader and install the latest one - the default is now 64-bit. You'll have to copy over the api and turn off AppContainer after the install, but it should operate fine at that point.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Make sure you uncheck the extra downloads (McAfee, etc.).
Michael Hoopes
jeepstang

Post by jeepstang »

mhoopes,

first and foremost, i want to apologize for providing you with incorrect information. I work on 2 systems and when i was reviewing the file explorer for the API file, i was looking at my other setup explorer i was remoted into.

I was in fact missing the 3DxAcr3d API file in my C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins folder. so i copied the one from C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxAdobe3D\64 and restarted my PC. after the restart it still didnt work but then i remembered you also advised to uncheck "Run in AppContainer". After i made that change the spacemouse compact started working flawlessly in adobe, and in fact, better than my old laptop, where i only had scroll function.

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated. you solved my issue.
mikasa

Post by mikasa »

You can try running Adobe Acrobat Reader in compatibility mode. Right-click on the program's shortcut, go to `Properties > Compatibility`, and run the program in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.
cuhnkedrik

Post by cuhnkedrik »

jeepstang wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:16 am

Indeed, you possess the aforementioned item. The inclusion of the 3DxAcr3d.api file in new installations of Acrobat Reader has been discontinued since version 11. This decision was likely made due to Adobe's poor implementation of the file for Acrobat 3D, suggesting that they chose to abandon its inclusion. However, the 3DxWare installation process still includes the aforementioned file in Acrobat Reader. The functionality is satisfactory in a two-dimensional context, although I personally found it more preferable when the zoom feature was deactivated.
dejawitting

Post by dejawitting »

mhoopes wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:47 am If that doesn't work, you can uninstall the 32-bit Reader and install the latest one - the default is now 64-bit. You'll have to copy over the api and turn off AppContainer after the install, but it should operate fine at that point.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/basketball stars
Because of the information you provided above, I was able to find a solution to my problem. My level of expertise is not high enough for me to be able to determine this.
Annata23

Post by Annata23 »

mhoopes wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:47 am If that doesn't work, you can uninstall the 32-bit Reader and install the latest one - the default is now 64-bit. You'll have to copy over the api and turn off AppContainer after the install, but it should operate fine at that point.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/ connections
I will try this way, thanks a lot