difference between space pilot and spacepilot pro

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Niza

difference between space pilot and spacepilot pro

Post by Niza »

As object, the only difference are in cosmetics restyle and a full colours display? It worth the money buy a space pilot pro, if I already have the old spacepilot ?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

it's a bit difficult to say, both have their advantages. I like the alt/ctrl/shift/esc buttons of the SP, those of the SPP are a bit small. Since these buttons are very important, I would prefer the SP. But the SP's 1-6 buttons I find rather bad, also the location of the panel and config buttons.

The SPP simply has more buttons, and the LCD really serves well to quickly recognize their function, albeit I still have to double check my finger position when I need the ctrl button. I've not done it yet, but I will mark the ctrl button's surface so that I can identify it blindly. Some kind of braille marking.

Both devices are not perfect. Both are good, and I like them. With the SP you can have several configurations (more buttons). If you are comfortable with that, the SPP would probably not be better, since it cannot switch configurations. Although this feature has been demanded by users, there was no sign from 3Dconnexion to implement it in future in the SPP.

On paper, the SPP has double the resolution. I must admit that I was not able to confirm that. Both devices feel the same when navigating, so I would not expect an advantage in this department. I also never heard an official answer concerning resolution, I suspect that it is simply not correct what they claim. From my observation, all 3Dx devices with knob have the same resolution. I have them all, I should have seen or felt a difference. In another example, comparing Intuos2 with Intuos4 tablets, I can tell very clearly which tablet has double pressure resolution.

You see, the answer to your question is not easy. At least I find the answer not easy, despite knowing both devices very well. I bought the SPP although I already had a SP because I got a reduced price. I wouldn't have bought it for the full price because I usually cannot afford such luxuries. Well, in the end it wasn't cheap either, there were huge toll and shipment costs. Anyway, I use the SPP every day, also for non 3D applications, and I don't regret it for a second. The SP is attached to another computer, and always a pleasure to use, too. Actually, there is almost no machine at my place without this blue knob, be it SPP, SP, or SN. You know, when I started with computers 10 years ago, I imagined such a controller for the left hand, thinking that workflow would be much better. Then, some years later, 3Dconnexion built almost exactly what I imagined.

One final remark: I rely very much on the display, since I use many different applications. I do graphics as well as video/compositing as well as music, a real all-purpose environment. The SP display is a bit slow. In some (rare) situations I really had to wait for the display. The SPP's display is faster, and suits my ever-changing tasks better. Now if you have, for example, a Catia workstation with only this application, you may not depend much on the display, you would know the button assignments by heart.
Niza

Post by Niza »

Thanks very much. Strange SPP cannot switch configurations (in any case I use it only with softimage).

One thing I don't like in SP is PANEL button (in software I can cage it configuration and assign a macro, but when I restart my system, button return assigned to panel... but this is my only complain about
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

the SPP has a different approach with 2x10+7 buttons, which is enough for many applications. Still, switchable configurations could be useful, as we sometimes do one thing, e.g. modeling, for some hours or days, then UV layout/shader work for some hours, etc. A user here from the forum had the brilliant idea to use the rarely used up/down buttons for quick configuration change. That would be great. And this idea has not fallen on deaf ears, a moderator said he would tell this to the programmers.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Phil999 wrote:A user here from the forum had the brilliant idea to use the rarely used up/down buttons for quick configuration change. That would be great. And this idea has not fallen on deaf ears, a moderator said he would tell this to the programmers.
Yep, great idea that :wink: , hope the functionality can be implemented.