Prob w/ Autocad 2011 - Pan/Zoom Jittery and Non-Responsive

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pol128

Post by pol128 »

I haven't seen a post yet on problems specifically on the standard AUTOCAD 2011, though seen similar issues with Autocad Inventor.

I have AUTOCAD 2011 with a Dell OPTIPLEX 980 on Windows 7 32Bit w/ a Radeon HD 4550 latest drivers (just loaded the latest Catalyst today, Nov2010). It has plenty of memory (4GB) and a fast SSD. So performance should not be an issue.

I have a 3Dconnexion Navigator and just loaded the latest drivers (v3.12), but still have the same issues as the old v3.11.

When I bring up a regular 2D drawing in the Model Tab and just am doing zooms and pan with the Navigator, Autocad seems to "skip" a bit and then pan or zoom. If I bring up a relatively busy architectural drawing, then Autocad "skips" and the screen may turn a dark gray hue and then the pan or zoom stutters. If I go into a Layer Tab, the Navigator pans/zooms don't even respond at all.

It may have something to do with this new "Adaptive Degradation" and "Hardware Accelleration" hooks. If I keep "Adaptive Degradation" "on", the skipping/graying is really bad and if "off" it works better, but in more complicated drawings it is still bad.

I didn't have these issues in older (ACAD 2008/2009) versions.

Note that I am not even taxing the system as I'm not doing any 3D renderings, just relatively small (<500K) architectural files here. The pan/zoom commands within AutoCAD 2011 work just fine.

Anyways, hope someone finds a solution to this. Like the Navigator, but it seems as if something "broke" when going to ACAD 2011. Right now, from the previous posts on the "Inventor" issues the problem seems to be "ping/ponging" between AutoDesk and 3Dconnexion.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello pol128 -

While there has been some misunderstanding/misinformation on this topic, the issue is one that has to be resolved in the AutoCAD 2011 application. AutoCAD is aware of the issue and is working on the software update needed to resolve it.
This forum topic explains the situation.

In an application such as Solidworks where 3Dconnexion software controls the navigation for our devices, a problem with navigation would be resolved by a 3Dconnexion software update.In applications such as AutoCAD 2011 and Inventor where only the 3Dconnexion driver is used, the movement of our devices is coming from the application - it is not being controlled by 3Dconnexion software. Since only their software is controlling the movement of 3D devices such as the SpaceNavigator and SpaceExplorer, when the movement is not working correctly, only an update to their software is able to fix it.

The older AutoCAD versions - 2007 through 2010 - worked differently. Our software does provide the navigation for these versions with the 3Dconnexion Add-In for AutoCAD. It is only with the release of AutoCAD 2011 that this changed and AutoDesk implemented their own navigation.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Barbara
pol128

Post by pol128 »

This does seem to make it clearer, at least where the "ping-pong ball" lies. Though it is still an issue, even if an AutoDesk issue.

I wonder if 3dConnection, which seems to be a subdivision of Logitech, can give AutoDesk a call. As it stands, under ACAD 2011, many of the 3dConnection products are useless at the moment (as well as probably other 3d input devices). I would think a call from a Logitech representative would have a lot of pull than us "peon" users.

Of course, I also wonder if this is even a widespread problem with users out there or just a couple of us. I have designers under me in the office and maybe I'll try their systems to see. I'll venture a guess that it is a universal problem because of the new way how ACAD 2011 seems to manage its video acceleration and adaptive regeneration. We had some weird slow down issues when working with dual monitors not seen before that required hardware acceleration to be turned off.
jmi-chuck

Anoter post string to review

Post by jmi-chuck »

Please look at this post as I have updated it with the latest from AutoDesk on this issue

viewtopic.php?t=3574&highlight=3dconnexion
jmi-chuck

Please log a complaint/solution with AutoCAD

Post by jmi-chuck »

The link below to log a complaint/ suggested solution with AutoDesk is below

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... id=1109794