SpaceNavigator and AutoCAD 2011. Is it really supported?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

serda

SpaceNavigator and AutoCAD 2011. Is it really supported?

Post by serda »

I just installed AutoCAD 2011 (64 bit) on Windows XP64 SP2.
I have updated my SpaceNavigator driver to the latest version (Release: 3.10.1, Driver version: 6.10.0, Firmware: 3.18).
My SpaceNavigator works great with AutoCAD 2010, but is INCREDIBLY SLOW with AutoCAD 2011, even if all the functions seem to be there, all movement are extremely slow and the movements are jagged. AutoCAD's native 3DOrbiting is "lightning fast" in comparison!!
Also, in the "C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxAutoCAD64\x64" folder, there is no "AutoCAD 2011" folder.
What should I do to improve the situation? Should I uninstall completly the SpaceNavigator driver and reinstall it from scratch?
As it is, the SpaceNavigator IS NOT USABLE with AutoCAD 2011!!!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi serda,

Starting in ACAD 2011, 3D mouse support is native to the application. In other words, the 3D mouse support is part of the application proper. The 3Dconnexion add-in is available for up to AutoCAD 2010.

Please refer to this topic.

We recommend to get in touch with Autodesk and file a bug report.
Nuno Gomes
serda

Post by serda »

Thanks.

So it seems that both sides are playing "ping pong"... It's the "other" side that should fix the problem... :?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi serda,
So it seems that both sides are playing "ping pong"... It's the "other" side that should fix the problem... :?
During the transition from an add-in based implementation to native, it is an unfortunate consequence that miscommunication can occur.

If Autodesk has asked you to get in touch with 3Dconnexion, then we need to follow up with them as this should no longer be the case.

Before we can get in touch with Autodesk, we will need to know what is the reference number of the support ticket you logged at Autodesk support. Please do not post this number publicly but send it to one of the moderators (myself is fine) in a private message.
serda

Post by serda »

I have not logged on a ticket with Autodesk yet. However, from the responses I read from the topic you referred me to in your first response, Autodesk seems have been notified: "Autodesk has been informed, I got the notice that 3D connexion have to do the correct adjustment to support AutoCAD 2011, so it is waiting for a new driver from 3D connexion. ", as noted by "busschaert79". This was posted on may 25. Since, there was no new version of the driver since april 1st, I assume that everything is as is...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

That's the sort of miscommunication that I was referring to.

What user "busschaert79" was told by Autodesk is not correct. The reported problem -- as with yours -- can only be solved in the application itself.

Please report the issue to Autodesk. It may happen that their first-level support is not yet fully aware of the changes. If that is the case, they may ask you to contact us and, if you get no further help from them, let us know. Using specific cases (that's why we need the tracking number), we should be able to get all involved informed.
serda

Post by serda »

Thanks,

I will communicate with Autodesk.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

just a thought. Do moderators, developers, etc. from 3dconnexion never use autoCAD? Do people from Autodesk never use 3dx devices?
jmi-chuck

Short term solution/help

Post by jmi-chuck »

I too have this problem. What I don't see in this thread is how to properly get the device to work. Since the support is native to AutoDesk products now, you will need to uninstall the driver for AutoCAD. Here is a copy of an email that I got from a support Tech from 3Dconnexion

You should uninstall the 3Dconnexion AutoCAD Add-In as it is only for versions up to AutoCAD2010.You can uninstall the add-in using Add/Remove Software in the Windows Control Panel . [Windows ControlPanel- Add/Remove Software – 3Dconnexion – Change|Modify]

Also get the latest driver for your video card supported by your software.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The 3Dconnexion add-in for AutoCAD is not loaded in AutoCAD 2011. The add-in is for AutoCAD 2010 and earlier.

Tech support is stating that the add-in is unnecessary. There is no point in trying to make the AutoCAD 2010 add-in load in ACAD 2011. It won't work.

AutoCAD 2011 has native support for 3D mice. We're working closely with Autodesk to improve the implementation. As such, we ask you to report any problems with 3D mouse support in AutoCAD 2011 directly to Autodesk to ensure a proper prioritisation of the reported issues.

Having said that, we are interested in knowing what problems you are faced with and we may ask you for the reference number of tickets opened at Autodesk support. Please do not post the reference number in a public post as this is confidential information.
RICHIES

Post by RICHIES »

Hi All,

I unloaded - removed tyhe 3dconnexion driver for acad but i still have the problem with Acad 2011.
when I try to zoom it changes to 3d environment (I guess) and it is very laggy and slow!

If i want to copy or move anything the screen will be blank when I use the 3d spacepilot....

any solution???
it is very annoying

thanks,
Richard
Fred

Post by Fred »

Contact Autocad and see if they have posted any updates to the application.
Also report the issue to them so they are aware of the issue.
Autocad 2011 no longer requires the use of our addin.
tjhooper

Post by tjhooper »

Hello All,

I have had trouble using the space navigator since upgrading to AutoCAD Mechanical 2011. It constantly regenerates all the time making it incredibly slow. Is this just a setting to change, or the same symptom as others have been having?

I raised a request with AutoCAD (SR# 1-9310318133) who just refer me back to 3dconnexion.

Thanks.
Valen Wagner

Post by Valen Wagner »

I have also had issues with Autocad 2011. I have communicated with Autodesk and they've told me that they are aware and are working on fixing it. They say to wait until updates are available for AutoCAD.

So, I guess that means it's basically useless until then. It's back to zoom/pan/orbit in the meantime.
SpacePilotPro, SpaceExplorer USB ( Driver 3.17.4 )
Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
3ds Max 2014, Maya 2014, Inventor 2013, AutoCAD 2013, Photoshop CS5