kbdtrans.dll won't load - Win 7, 64 bit

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

hydroace

kbdtrans.dll won't load - Win 7, 64 bit

Post by hydroace »

Greetings -

I'm trying to get my arms around a problem that happens at boot up, a 3DConnexion error message that reads "3Dxware driver could not load transport DLL kbdtrans.dll". If I click OK in the error message, then reinstall the software (using the 'Repair' option), I can make the Space Pilot work in Solidworks 2008. The work around is OK, unless your working under a tight schedule - which seems to be happening more and more often these days.

The OS is Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), and the 3DConnexion software I've tried includes both v3.8.3 and 3.9.0. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 3DConnexion software - and used the MicroSoft clean up tool to get rid of remnants of any removed software. Regardless, the error message pops up each time I boot.

Any suggestions? - thanks.
Dennis McNeely
jwick

Post by jwick »

You are probably having a conflict with antivirus software not letting the driver load the DLL in a specific place. I suppose viruses do that sort of thing.

You might try creating an exception for the driver executable (3DxSrv.exe) for your antivirus software.

We have had conflicts with Bitdefender on W7 in the past.
If you have Bitdefender 2010, change your scanner settings to "Tolerant".
If you have Bitdefender 2009, disable "IDS instrusion detection system" in advanced firewall options.

You can delete the kbtrans.dll but the problem may just be transfered to the next DLL the driver tries to load. kbtrans.dll does keyboard emulation, which you probably don't use in SolidWorks.
hydroace

Post by hydroace »

Thanks for the suggestions, jwick. I'm just upgrading the computer to Windows 7 64 bit, so there is no anti virus loaded yet - just Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I disabled both of them, but can't get past the kbdtrans.dll won't load message. Unfortunately, the Space Pilot won't function in SolidWorks without first performing the workaround I indicated earlier.

I went to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 63902.aspx and downloaded a program which displays all the drivers, programs, services, etc. that start with Windows 7 (~1,200 of them!!). Fortunately, the program lets you hide any Windows / Microsoft entries, cutting the number of possibilities for a 3rd party startup conflict to a mere 200 suspects or so.

Would it be possible to get screenshot or list from that program showing the startups which don't conflict with 3DConnexion from a Windows 7 64 bit machine you've got working there? It would greatly simplify going through the list of startups I've got to cull through.

Thanks
Dennis McNeely
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi hydroace,

What happens if you launch 3DxWare "As Administrator"?
Robert Stadie
hydroace

Post by hydroace »

Hi rstadie & jwick,

I found the scoundrel - mccitrayapp.exe. Apparently the file was developed by Motive Communications for AT&T as part of the self help system which installs with AT&T's DSL package. I disabled the file at startup, and the problem went away - and the internet / email connection remained functional. :wink:

Thanks again,
Dennis McNeely
douglas1

Post by douglas1 »

Hi,

I too am having problems during boot-up. The following 3DxWare Drivers fail to load:

kbdtrans.dll
mwmtrans.dll
pxytrans.dll
s80trans.dll

I am running W7 x64 with Norton 360 - Version: 4.3.0.5

Programs loaded: Autodesk Plant 3D and Factory Design Suite
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can also try 3DxWare 10, which is in beta now. It loads DLLs differently. You may not have a conflict with that mechanism.
OriginWater

Post by OriginWater »

Hi All,
I have just purchased a space pilot pro, and well there is a massive bug in my computer, Loaded the standard driver 3.14.1, this worked for 1 day while I was trying to setup, By the way there is no button mapping for solidworks 12 PR1, The today went to try and load the properties and would not open and the pilot has the front screen stuck with pilot on it, So cracked it and uninstalled and loaded Beta 10 ver 11, well no it opens the Properties and errors with the following Button:ReadFromXml: Button missing either InputActionor Output.Action, and i have to do CTRL -ALT DEL to open task manager and kill it, Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this frustrating thing, as would love to use it in solidworks ???

The computer I am using is a Windows 7 64bit, and disabled antivirus and run it as adminstrator - all to no avail, have uninstalled and reloaded 4 times now and still no luck - Any solutions ??

Thanks
Douglas
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Douglas -

The reason it is not working in SolidWorks 2012 PR1 is that the SolidWorks 2012 add-in is not included in the Release 3.14.1 3Dconnexion software.

You will need to download the new Release 3.14.2 software that includes the SolidWorks 2012 PR1 add-in.

The official software and the beta software both rely on the 3DxSolidWorks add-in for SolidWorks button mapping.

Only a handful of apps such as SolidWorks, SolidEdge, SketchUp, Maya and 3DsMax require add-ins that have to be updated with each new application version.Most of the supported applications have the recognition of 3D devices built inside the application so do not need external software such as an add-in or plug-in.

Download the new release to your PC then run the installation with SolidWorks closed to install the add-in.

----------------------------
Barbara