SolidWorks part movement in "Z" direction

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bowtie Bob

SolidWorks part movement in "Z" direction

Post by Bowtie Bob »

I just did a clean install of Solidworks 2010 and my SpacePilot drivers, and I noticed that I'm no longer able to move my parts in assemblies in the "Z" direction (toward/away from the screen). Was this removed in the latest driver update, or am I missing the setting that allows that?
Bryan

Checking your motion settings in SolidWorks

Post by Bryan »

Dear Bowtie Bob,

In SolidWorks you would want to check your settings under the 'Option' Tab in the '3Dcontrol Properties' Windows. Look under the '3D Control' Menu in Solidworks and choose 'Properties'.

You may also check your settings in the '3Dconnexion Control Panel'. Under the 'Advanced Settings' Tab, make sure all your motions are checked on.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

Which option in the 3Dcontrol Properties Options tab needs to be turned on?
I have tried turning on all of the options available, but none of them affect the movement toward/away from the screen.
Bryan

What do you find checked under the Advanced Tab?

Post by Bryan »

Dear Bowtie Bob,

'When you go to the 3Dconnexion Control Panel (Start, All programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3Dxware), is the z-axis unchecked under the Advanced Tab?

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
UtaSH

Re: SolidWorks part movement in "Z" direction

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Bowtie Bob,

there is a reason why it is not possible to move along the Z direction in subpart movement. It is described in Dassault's SPR 134867:
SPR 134867 - Model faces become transparent when moving assembly component towards and through viewing plane.
Whether this affects you or not depends on the assembly document being edited and your version of SolidWorks.

I do have an undocumented (an not officially supported :!:) workaround for you:
  • - Exit SolidWorks (this is important);
    - Open the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\3Dconnexion Add-In for SolidWorks\;
    - Change the value "SubPartMoveAlongZ" to "1" (one);
    - Exit the Registry Editor;
    - Start SolidWorks, load an assembly and check that you can now move a component along the "z" direction.
Do not forget that editing the registry is on your own risk! 8)