SpaceExplorer-n-Windows

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tgh0001

SpaceExplorer-n-Windows

Post by tgh0001 »

Background:
IT dept purchased serial versions of the Space Explorer to use on workstations connected to a standalone windows network ... USB ports are disabled. Now we designers have expensive paperweights. IT dept is looking into their "SNAFU". So, I've been elected to look into a work around ... lucky I guess. I noticed there is no support for serial connection using Windows OS and one of the guys called tech support and was told to try an older driver.
Question:
Is there a serial driver to use in windows to spark life into this Space Explorer? Or, do we need to fire the IT dept from making purchasing decisions?

Thanks for your time.
jwick

Post by jwick »

No, I'm afraid serial ports went out with the last century (well almost). The SpaceExplorer serial was never supported on Windows, only Unix. You need to try to trade those in for USB devices if you want to run on Windows.
tgh0001

Post by tgh0001 »

Thanks.
Using the USB ports is not an option on this "secure" network ... company/government issues. I'll give the IT dept the bad news and have them fired! :wink:
:idea: Maybe the IT dept can recoupe costs on e-bay? They threw away all the boxes/literature before installing. One of them thought it was a fancy mouse and didn't order any mice with the new workstations. :roll:
jwick

Post by jwick »

The USB SpaceExplorer may still work if your IT dept disabled writing out on the USB ports. That keeps you from writing files onto USB sticks and taking them home--which is what they are trying to prevent. Some things like the LEDs wouldn't work.