Cinema 4d - SpacePilot Pro - lack of compatibility.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Reflect

Cinema 4d - SpacePilot Pro - lack of compatibility.

Post by Reflect »

Hi,
This is my first post. Thank you 3DCONNEXION for waiting 3 DAYS for my activation e-mail - thats for beginning. All right - now the juicy part. I just spend 500 pounds for that "compatible with everything and working like a charm" SpacePilot Pro. Mainly Im using Cinema4d build 11 with windows XP/Vista/7 obviously 64 bit. and after 5 minutes I realize - my money was spend at useless gadget with nice screen. Let me reefer what kind of problem Im getting here:
1. Only Perspective Viewport is ok - knob is responding correctly (like it should -I can pan, tilt, zoom in and out - other-words - great experience). But a first problem is when I switch to fullscreen with Ctrl+Tab - then the SpacePilot Pro STOPS WORKING.
2. No other Plan views want to work correctly with my device. There is no zoom in: Top/ Bottom / Front / Right / Left - instead I have to predefine zoom on one of my buttons on SpacePilot Pro - which zoom in and out for a specific % - not like I should experience, where I can push downward a knob and nicely and smoothly zoom in.
3. I really like that controller - but I need immediate action.
4. Until problem is resolved I would recommended removing Cinema4d from compatibility list of SpacePilot Pro - it is not true.

regards and I hope somebody will respond quick and efficient.
Bryan

Cinema 4D R11 - SpacePilot Pro

Post by Bryan »

Dear Reflect,

What release version do you read from the first line in the 'About' Item under the 'Help' Menu in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel?

Is your PRO plugged directly into your computer?

Are you using XP-64 or Vista-64?

Sincerely,
Bryan G.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Reflect

Post by Reflect »

Hi,
I'm using newest version:
Release: 3.7.18
Driver: 6.7.13
Firmware: 4.11

Cinema: 11.027
XP: SP3
VISTA64: SP2
WINDOWS7: 7100

SpacePilot Pro is connected directly to my computer (what kind of question is that - I though my post is quite precise - Im loosing response from device only in full screen and on certain Viewports)

And just let you know - I was twice on your Tech Support Line - and my Customer ID is 503865.

regards

P.S.
Also in Cinema 11.5 there is identical issue. By the way - there is no problem with 3dsMax2010 64 bit - but lets keep my subject - CINEMA 4D is not supported correctly with your gadget!
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

indeed the fullscreen view stops SPP from working. I guess this is because the 3D Mouse tab is not open at that moment. But there is a workaround: create a layout with only the view window and the 3D Mouse window (tab). Like this, SPP works.

For the top/left/front view, one has to use the mouse wheel for zooming, and the move tool for moving. I also did not find a solution with the SPP.

Besides, the question about the direct connection to the computer is because it may be problematic in some setups if SPP is connected with a USB hub.
Reflect

Post by Reflect »

Phil999 - so, welcome to the club.

How about solution mr Mod???

regards
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cinema 4D is Natively supported. Please contact them and let them know of the current issue. Also check there forum to see if this was already reported. They can make the necessary changes in the software using our SDK.
Reflect

Post by Reflect »

Thats great - thanx a lot. That was my first and last buy from 3dconnexion.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I can partly understand your anger, but don't you think that 3dconnexion has done an immensely great job? Navigating in 3D space with the best possible solution?

If an application responds less good than others, it is the 'fault' of the application, not 3dconnexion. You have to adapt your workflow (and in the case of C4D, I find it quite acceptable), or switch to a different application which has better 3dx support.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the culprit.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Reflect,

I'm disappointed that C4D works this way, especially if full screen mode is a normal working arrangement (and I don't see why it wouldn't be). I'm checking internally to see if there is anything we can do from our end, but as mentioned earlier this is tightly woven inside C4D. We can (and did) bring it up with them, but as you might guess, our requests don't carry much weight. We don't pay them. You do. Only paying customers move to the front of the queue. If you could be so kind as to bring it up with them, and maybe even get a bug report number, that would make it more likely to be fixed.

Please report back here if you make some progress. I'm sure many C4D users would like to use it in full screen mode.