3Dconnexion and Windows 7

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

zipl

SpaceNavigator SE and Windows 7

Post by zipl »

LEDs light up, but 3d mouse has no functionality in applications. Exception: the 3d mouse button will work to open the 3DConnexion Control Panel.

In the Control Panel I have already gone to Tools>Write Log File and enabled it.

I experienced some similar behavior to the user [Carlos] above, in that the mouse worked exactly once, the first time I installed it, before the first reboot. Since then it's been a paperweight with pretty LEDs.

I am specifically interested in getting this back up and running with 3DS Max 2009 x64.
UtaSH

Re: SpaceNavigator SE and Windows 7

Post by UtaSH »

zipl,

please do a complete uninstall of the current installation. Maybe the WindowsCleanupUtility helps, too.

Then please go to the download page and download the very latest version, which was released yesterday. It is 3DxSoftware 3.8.1.

Please let us know if you can get the device to work properly with this version.
zipl

Re: SpaceNavigator SE and Windows 7

Post by zipl »

uludwig wrote:zipl,

please do a complete uninstall of the current installation. Maybe the WindowsCleanupUtility helps, too.

Then please go to the download page and download the very latest version, which was released yesterday. It is 3DxSoftware 3.8.1.

Please let us know if you can get the device to work properly with this version.
1. Complete uninstall per your site instructions, completed. No registry entry was found under LOCAL MACHINE>SOFTWARE for 3DConnexion
2. Installed driver set 3.8.1 from website
3. Device worked only on initial install. After reboot, functionality lost. No lights, mo movement. I can turn on the lights by opening the 3DConnexion Control Panel and toggling the lights off then on again. Stopping and starting the driver has no effect. The mouse will not navigate in 3DS Max 2009 x64 (specifically. I didn't try any other 3D programs). The install appears to have been successful as the driver is listed in the 3DS plug-ins and appears to have loaded as well.

Summary: Absolutely no change from the new driver.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi zipl,

I suspect you are starting 3ds Max as Administrator.

If so, does it work when you
A) Launch 3DxWare also as Administrator
B) Launch 3ds Max _not_ as Administrator

?
Robert Stadie
Tentee

Spaceball 4000 & Windows 7

Post by Tentee »

I just clean installed the full new European release of Windows 7 ultimate, but my Spaceball 4000 will not work with it. I downloaded the available windows driver '3DxSoftware_v2-8-2' and attempted to install without success.
The driver previously worked perfectly with Windows Vista Ultimate, and Auotdesk Inventor 2010, but will not even install with full administrator priveleges.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw the spaceball out, and be forced to try and get hardware I can't really afford, or should I have faith in 3D-Connexion, and that something can be done about it? :(
pamelinc

Post by pamelinc »

subber wrote:"Please use this topic to share your experience. We're very interested in knowing about the tested 3D applications performance and, if possible, the details of the 3D mouse (model), application (version) and platform (x86, x64) you are using. "

I use SpaceNavigator SE, with 3DS MAX 2010 64bit, and Windows 7 also 64bit , RTM version. And of course latest SpaceNavigator driver. With this combination it works! I don't know any performance issue, it is a fact that under Win 7 the 3DS MAX is slower than under XP for me, but the mouse movement, behaviour is the same. (Funny, but Win7 gives a popup that MAX 2010 is an uncompatible version but runs fine).
Hello there.

I am not able to install (as administrator) the latest driver version (v3.8.1) for my Space navigator PE in a PC running with Windows7-RC (x64)-built 7100

I've got the message "3Dconnexion 3DxWare(x64) installation failed. Error:1618 which I understand is when you have more of one installation processes running at the same time.

I have checked in my registry there are no other conflicting key neither in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress nor in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

I have used Windows Install Cleanup to ensure no other 3Dconnexion related install instance is present.

I tried all this but still get the same message

What else I can do....???
:? :(
UtaSH

Re: Spaceball 4000 & Windows 7

Post by UtaSH »

Tentee wrote:I just clean installed the full new European release of Windows 7 ultimate, but my Spaceball 4000 will not work with it. I downloaded the available windows driver '3DxSoftware_v2-8-2' and attempted to install without success.
The driver previously worked perfectly with Windows Vista Ultimate, and Auotdesk Inventor 2010, but will not even install with full administrator priveleges.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw the spaceball out, and be forced to try and get hardware I can't really afford, or should I have faith in 3D-Connexion, and that something can be done about it? :(
Hi Tentee,

no, this version (2.8.2) of 3DxSoftware is not at all qualified for Windows 7. :( The Spaceball 4000 is out of support since almost three years. Sorry, but I would say it is time for a newer technology. :wink:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

pamelinc wrote:Hello there.

I am not able to install (as administrator) the latest driver version (v3.8.1) for my Space navigator PE in a PC running with Windows7-RC (x64)-built 7100

I've got the message "3Dconnexion 3DxWare(x64) installation failed. Error:1618 which I understand is when you have more of one installation processes running at the same time.

Hi pamelinc,

it would be helpful if you could create a logfile from your installation that might help us to identify the cause of the problem. Please see here how to do that. I will send you a PM with an email address where you can send this logfile to.
pamelinc

Post by pamelinc »

uludwig wrote:
pamelinc wrote:Hello there.

Hi pamelinc,

it would be helpful if you could create a logfile from your installation that might help us to identify the cause of the problem. Please see here how to do that. I will send you a PM with an email address where you can send this logfile to.
Thank you very much for the prompt response.

The problem is the "temp" file is not even created because the installation fails abruptly since the beginning and no software, no driver and no log are created. Furthermore, other programs started to crash too frequently and I finally decided to re-install Windows 7 RC again.

Now my PC is working fine as well as the 3DxSoftware....

Thanks again.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

I'm glad you could solve it. :)

Enjoy the device. 8)
permats

Could not load device DLL HIDDev.dll. Error=0x1e7. (Win7)

Post by permats »

Have a SpaceNavigator (SN).
I installed Windows 7 from scratch.
Installed 3.8.1 driver for windows.
SN worked on same laptop (Dell Precision M4300) with WinXP.
SN still works on different Laptop with Vista.
SN recognized by windows. Confirmed VID and PID in Device Manager.
All installed and used as Administrator user.

But can not start driver.

Log shows this:
  • 22:7:28.005: 3DxWare driver startup: 10/30/2009 22:7:28
    22:7:28.007: 3DxWare Driver Version 6.8.1 : September 25, 2009
    22:7:28.008: -quiet -- disabled
    22:7:28.010: -shutdown -- disabled
    22:7:28.011: -protocol -- none given. All protocols enabled.
    22:7:28.013: -com -- Disabled, using spcware.ini file settings.
    22:7:28.014: -dev -- Disabled, using spcware.ini settings.
    22:7:28.016: -eps disabled sending each event.
    22:7:28.017: -log enabled
    22:7:28.019: -logLevel ffffffff
    22:7:28.020: -logFile C:\Users\Anders\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWare.log
    22:7:28.022: -searchWarnDlg not enabled
    22:7:28.023: -showGUI not enabled
    22:7:28.025: -hideGUI not enabled
    22:7:28.026: UdCtl: Attempting to find (ID=1053) 'Swedish' locale in SV_SW
    22:7:28.028: UdCtl: Found resource DLL in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\en_us\3dxsrv.dll
    22:7:28.034: UdCtl: initialization successful.
    22:7:28.036: UdCtl: Attempting to open Any Device (-1) on USB.
    22:7:28.037: UdCtl: Attempting to load device DLL: C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\UdDev\HIDDev.dll
    22:7:28.039: UdCtl: Could not load device DLL HIDDev.dll. Error=0x1e7.
    22:7:28.041: UdCtl: Unable to open Any Device (-1) on USB.
Searched forums and Google for hours.

Any ideas appreciated.

Other minor questions:
Why is log showing "Driver Version 6.8.1"
Is Windows 7 supported? Product section on Home page does not list Windows 7 but release notes suggest Win7 now supported.

Thanks in advance!
UtaSH

Re: Could not load device DLL HIDDev.dll. Error=0x1e7. (Win7

Post by UtaSH »

Hi permats,

did you check if you have the HIDDev.dll in the mentioned location(C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\UdDev\HIDDev.dll)? If the file is there what is it's size?
permats

Post by permats »

Hi Uta,

Yes, HIDDev.dll is in the mentioned location. Size is 117 760 bytes.

I even tried to start driver with the dll removed and got the same log output minus the two lines about HIDDev.dll:
  • 18:32:5.702: UdCtl: Attempting to load device DLL: C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\UdDev\HIDDev.dll
    18:32:5.704: UdCtl: Could not load device DLL HIDDev.dll. Error=0x1e7.
So my conclusion is that it is found but not loaded successfully. What does Error=0x1e7 say to someone with access to the source code?

I also opened the dll in a resource editor and it seems to be a valid dll.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Please give us as much information as possible about your system and the Windows 7 version. I'll check for further information about error 0x1e7.
permats

Post by permats »

Windows 7 Professional (English version) (official retail release)
Using Swedish locale setting (I tried with English too but no luck)
Dell Precision M4300
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20MHz
2.0GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 360M
Screen 1920x1200 32-bit color

ZoneAlarm Pro
BitDefender 2009 Free

260GB SSD OCZ VERTEX drive
I have disabled indexing and superfetch as per OCZ recommendation.

SpaceNavigator USB
P/N 3DX-600027
PID N3106513043
Shows up as VID_046D&PID_C626

I have several other HID-compliant devices. Many of them have the same VID but different PID. They likely belong to my keyboard and mouse as I also have LOGITECH DINOVO CORDLESS DESKTOP USB. I doubt that could be problem as I have tried with them disconnected (drivers where not uninstalled though so I can't exclude any collision for sure yet).

MD5 Sums:
HIDDev.dll: 4b99df0c0ee7d3a06e4346db78d7b5b6
3DxSoftware_v3-8-1.exe: 9179ce230c68a8d10fc87db580fb522f

Running as the only user on my machine with administrator rights.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thanks