SpaceMouse Plus XT Serial and SW2009

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

sunbrnd

SpaceMouse Plus XT Serial and SW2009

Post by sunbrnd »

Greetings from FL,

My company is going to be upgrading from SW2007 to SW2009 shortly. There are 4 CAD guys here and I am the only one that uses a 3D device (my own). This is my trusty SpaceMouse Plus XT Serial. I have had this for quite awhile (years actually) and it always works great. I really would like that to continue. I know that this device is not supported in SW2009. Can anyone help with this? I have tried a Serial to USB thingy before and they are flaky at best....not for production use.

As much as I would LOVE to have a new SpacePilot Pro...(OMG they are sleek and sexy!!)....my company is not going to pony up for a new device for me (they're cheap) and it is not in my meager budget. For the time being, if I can just get the Black Beast to work with SW2009 I would be like a pig in :D .

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated...Thanks!!!

p.s. Should 3DConnexion want to ship me a SPpro for LONG term evaluation and performance testing, I will be glad to whip on it daily :lol:
Andrei

Post by Andrei »

With the release of version 2008, and all future releases, SolidWorks dropped support for "old style MFC extension add-ins".

At that time, serial devices and the Cadman were no longer in "extended support". Consequently, their software was not updated.
sunbrnd

Still Looking for a Solution...No Help from 3DC

Post by sunbrnd »

So that's just great.

Are you telling me I should just scrap this perfectly good piece of equipment that I paid somewhere around $400 for and use to make a living with??

Nice. That really makes me want to buy a new one. Obviously, customers mean nothing more than someone to buy your hardware. That they can get any value from such is inconsequential. I find it VERY hard to believe that your software "gurus" could not easily come up with a fix for this...but then again it is easier to tell the customer to trash their equipment and buy a new one.

What if your car dealer said "oh gee, we don't make that starter anymore and you need to scrap your car and buy one of our new ones".

Can anyone that reads this forum help me with this since 3DConnexion is unwilling/unable to support their products???