Maya rotate about sub object. i.e. vertex

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mbonk

Post by mbonk »

3dan wrote:I would like:

View: Camera
Fly mode: Off

Up/Down Axis: Zoom (or Off, to be controlled by the mouse wheel)
Forward/Backwards/Left/Right: Pan
Tilt/Spin/Roll: As normal, Twist/Turn
Excepting zoom on the Up/Down axis.
I would suggest you try the following

Rotation Pivot: Focal Point
Fly Mode: On - this is required to be able to move the center of interest which is a prerequiste to be able to pan.

In the 3Dconnexion Control Panel in the Advanced Settings tab unclick 'Zoom'

Markus
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

If you are brave and insist on changing the axes used for panning you may like to read this post
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Hi Markus

I am interested in your solution involving turning the zoom off, this seems to work quite well. But I do still have the rotation issue; for me, if I am above the focal point and rotate the contol clockwise the camera rotates clockwise around the focal point. However if I am below the focal point and rotate the contol clockwise the camea rotates Anitclockwise around the focal point. And in the transition phase from above to below the focal point the rotation speed slows; and even stops when you look at the focal point directly on its' x,z plane.

thanks again

Dan
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

Hi Dan,

Do you have rolling disabled? If so uncheck that option

Markus
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Having rolling disabled is a function I need on to keep my workflow similar, with it turned off I feel I lose a level of control that I rely on.

As I work with large environments including buildings I tend to always keep the scene the right way up, and I find rolling to be disorienting and quite annoying. In maya/max rolling isn't available with keyboard and mouse. i.e. if you click and drag down anywhere in the scene the scene tumbles towards you but never rolls.

I'm just looking to take the camera movement control to my left hand, to reduced the workload on my right. At present the Space Explorer almost works but doesn't quite give the functionality that I need.
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Hi Markus

Can you offer any further assistance?

Thanks

Dan
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

3dan wrote:And in the transition phase from above to below the focal point the rotation speed slows; and even stops when you look at the focal point directly on its' x,z plane.
The rotation is relative to the screen. Thus if the object is rotated such that a component of the the cap displacement results in a rotation that titlts the horizon, this component is removed.
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Hi Markus

I got confused over the rolling issue, and I now realise that of course you can roll quite simply in the viewport by dragging left/right and infact I probably used this the whole time. So sorry, forget my request for needing rolling disabled Ticked/checked/Enabled

OK I have one last request. Can I have the focal point of the camera made visable in the viewport, this will give me a reference for where my rotation pivot of the camera is. Somethink that I find quite tricky to track, especially when zooming!

Thanks

Dan
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Ah HA, I've had a bit of a Eureka moment

I have these settings

Rotation pivot: Focal Point
Flymode : checked

All other boxes unchecked

In the control panel: Zoom direction toward/away
All axes reversed
All axes on

The simple thing that I have noticed is the difference between the Zoom on the mousewheel and the Zoom on the SpaceExplorer

The Zoom on the SpaceExplorer isn't really a zoom it just moves the camera forward and backwards in 3D Space

The Zoom on the Mousewheel acutally zooms the camera, keeping the focal point where it is.

Please Markus can I have an actual zoom on the space explorer in this mode, as oppose to camera translation in 3D Space!

This would negate my request in the previous post.

You will see what I mean if you create an object, fit to screen (f) "do not zoom with the 3D explorer" Rotate the object with the Space Explorer. Pause, zoom out with the mouse wheel, Rotate the object again with the Space Explorer. Pause, zoom in with the mouse wheel Roate the object again. And you will notice we always pivot around the same point.

Now try to zoom out with the Space Explorer, and rotate, and it is near impossible to keep the object as the centre of attention, try zooming back in, and you will notice how difficult it is to keep focus on an object.

I hope you see my point.

Dan
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Please reply?
I have these settings

Rotation pivot: Focal Point
Flymode : checked

All other boxes unchecked

In the control panel: Zoom direction toward/away
All axes reversed
All axes on

The simple thing that I have noticed is the difference between the Zoom on the mousewheel and the Zoom on the SpaceExplorer

The Zoom on the SpaceExplorer isn't technically a zoom, it just moves the camera forward and backwards in 3D Space

The Zoom on the Mousewheel acutally zooms the camera, keeping the focal point (camera target) where it is.

I would greatly like to have an actual zoom on the space explorer in this mode (leaving the camera target alone), as oppose to camera translation in 3D Space!

E.G. Create an object, fit to screen (f) "do not zoom with the 3D explorer" Rotate the object with the Space Explorer. Pause, zoom out with the mouse wheel, Rotate the object again with the Space Explorer. Pause, zoom in with the mouse wheel Roate the object again. And you will notice we always pivot around the same point.

Now try to zoom out with the Space Explorer, and rotate, and it is near impossible to keep the object as the centre of attention, try zooming back in, and you will notice how difficult it is to keep focus on an object.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi 3dan,

we track this feature request with ID 4990. I do not know if it is feasible to implement that feature but our developers are looking into this.
Robert Stadie
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Great News! Thank you
3dan

Post by 3dan »

RStadie,

Any news back from your developers as yet?
3dan

Post by 3dan »

Still waiting for a response on ID 4990 ...
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi 3dan,

the issue you described is considered to be implemented in the future. But there is no determination when this will be done.