Microstation V8i

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Griff805

Microstation V8i

Post by Griff805 »

Hello,

I recently purchased the SpaceNavigator to see how it would help improve my workflow. So far the device has been great in Google Earth and Adobe Reader, however it's not as flawless in Microstation V8i.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the 3DConnexion website for Windows Vista x64. I also have the latest version of Microstation V8i installed.

The problem is just when rolling using the device. Roll seems to be hit or miss when trying to roll the drawing I am looking at. If I roll the device counter-clockwise it seems to work somewhat better than rolling clockwise. Also, when I try rolling first, before mixing in any other axis movement, it doesn't seem to respond at all most of the time. However, if I am performing another action, such as tilt, then I try to roll, it will seem to respond more often than not.

I hope this makes sense. Is anyone else having this problem? All other operations with the device work fine in Microstation V8i. It's only the roll function that I am having problems with. Thanks for your time-

Griff
Griff805

Post by Griff805 »

All functions of the device work fine in 2D mode. At least the ones that are usable in 2D. Which roll is one that works in a 2D file. That might help pinpoint the problem.
Griff805

Post by Griff805 »

Alright, narrowed the issue down a little further-

In the 3D connexion control panel, If I configure the Zoom option to "up and down" (green arrows), then I cannot operate roll correctly. However, if I have "forward and back" (blue arrows) selected for Zoom, then roll works fine. Unfortunately, the first option is the one I would prefer to work with.

Is there something I have configured incorrectly in Microstation that may be causing this?
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi Griff805,

Do all axes work in the Cube 3D demo as you would expect them to work?
Robert Stadie
Griff805

Post by Griff805 »

Yes, the Cube 3D demo works perfectly.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi,

the Zoom direction "forward and back" is default for Microstation, this is "camera mode" which means you control your own viewpoint like a camera. If you spin the cap of your 3D mouse to the right, your viewpoint (camera) will also spin to the right. Rolling is disabled in this mode (you can try to disable all axes except "roll"), but if you change the Zoom direction to "up and down" roll will actually "spin" the view.

You can also find some other useful settings for your 3D mouse in V8i:
Open Utilities->Key-in
VIEW | NAVIGATION | 3DINPUT | TOOLBOX

In case you don't like these navigation settings jwick has posted an example about how to rearrange motion axes.
Robert Stadie
Griff805

Post by Griff805 »

Thanks rstadie-