RBC9 Driver Layout for Carrara / Hexagon..?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

PoorOldRisingSun

RBC9 Driver Layout for Carrara / Hexagon..?

Post by PoorOldRisingSun »

Hi there. I purchased a Space Navigator with the misconception that I would be able to use it in my two favorite programs, DAZ's Carrara and Hexagon. So far, this purchase has been a huge disappointment, although I do have a nifty new 60$ volume knob.

I've been trying to create a layout for RCB9's driver which would enable me to use my Navigator in those two programs. The purpose of this post is to see if anyone else out there has had success using their SN with Carrara and Hexagon.

I can briefly describe the method I used, so that perhaps someone can give me better ideas if nothing else. In carrara, to move the camera on a single axis, you must hold down the key for a particular tool. I have each axis of my SN bound in this way, but with variations to achieve the different axis of movement. For example, tilting the cap left produces a left panning motion in the camera, by assigning the axis like this:
000-100 = deadzone
101-105 = release key
106-360 = hold key
106-360 = hold left mouse button
106-360 = mouse x axis

This way, the SN holds down the key to control the camera, and simultaneously holds down the mouse button and moves it. This produces the closest thing to the desired result, but I have to move my mouse back into my work area after each move, and I can only control one axis of motion at a time. This method has a negative impact on my productivity, since it is ten times easier and faster to move the camera with the mouse.

I'm going to sell my SN unless I can figure out a way to make it work well with Carrara and Hex, since otherwise it's pretty useless to me. Hopefully someone out there can give me some idea of how to improve my layout, or provide me with one via email or something.

Anybody?
Thanks,
Bowtie Bob

Post by Bowtie Bob »

You might send a message to aegean. He just posted in the main RBC9 thread that he is using it with Hexagon.