SpacePilot in XSI and macro key assignments

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

loocas

SpacePilot in XSI and macro key assignments

Post by loocas »

Hi there,

very quick question, how do I assign a single "keyboard key" to one of the programmable buttons?

I mean, I very often use the "D" key for numerous things in combination with Shift, Alt and Ctrl buttons, now I don't want to waste 4 mappings on these actions one by one, but instead, I want to map a "D" button to one of the programmable keys and then be able to use all the actions invoked by the Alt, Ctrl and Shift combinations with the "D" button.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks a lot in advance, cheers...

- loocas
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello loocas,

You have to create a keyboard macro in the 3DxWare configuration for XSI. While XSI is running, you have to open the 3DxWare control panel from either the desktop icon, the control panel icon or the Start menu. This brings up a different GUI than the systray icon. Open the Button Configuration tab, then the Custom Functions... dialog box. You can create a single key "D" keyboard macro there. Close this dialog. (The configuration must say SOFTIMAGE|XSI -- username when you do this.)

Now comes the tricky part. The driver doesn't tell XSI about this new macro right away. You have to exit and restart XSI. The keyboard maco should appear in the list of available 3DxWare commands that you can map to a button. You can then do, ctrl+d, alt+d, shift+d, etc.