Sketch up won't work with SpaceNavigator, why?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mwm5053

heavy models bogging down

Post by mwm5053 »

It seems the larger models in Sketchup don't like space navigator form the threads and replies going back several years it seems this hasn't been resolved. really like it, hate to return it but this the reason i bought itwas in Sketchup.
Bryan

Number of Faces in Your SketchUp Model

Post by Bryan »

Dear mwm5053,
Yeah, Sketchup is sensitive to the number of faces you are modeling. This is why they make heavy use of images on a face to represent complexity.

For example, the SketchUp Developers would recommend that you represent the siding on a house with a photograph rather than constructing individual clapboard pieces.

How many faces are in your models?
Is there a threshold to the number of faces that you find performance degradation?

You may determine the number of faces by selecting the
'Windows' Menu
'Model Information' Item
'Statistics' and 'Entire Model'

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
mwm5053

real reason for freeze up and jerkiness

Post by mwm5053 »

Thanks Bryan for the reply since I went through and troubleshooted the problem thought i would relay to you and others what was or is going on, maybe the software team can see if they can iron this out.

I started out with a new model no lines, faces nothing, added some cubes multiplied them till I had a hundred or more, file size was up to 15 GB or so 3d SN worked just fine like I would expect.

Opened a older model also done in SU 8, 3d SN would move briefly and freeze this went on for some time still would not work even though the file size was under 15 GB like the other model. Puzzling? Then I realized the only thing different in the models were scenes that were created to show different views I deleted the scenes and 3dSN worked just fine on older model so to test this out went back and created new scenes and 3D SN still worked fine so deleting and creating new scenes must be the culprit. Reopened file and 3d SN wouldn't work again. Try it out I'll bet someone can fix this.
Thanks Walt
Sheds

Post by Sheds »

To concur with mwm5053 along with a few observations:

Same jerky motion here, when using the SN with Sketchup (free & pro, versions 6 thru 8.0.11751). Like others this problem seems to occur with older files and regardless of the complexity of objects or the number of materials.

An example of this was a model that I had created very recently on one Mac and opened on another with the SN connected. The motion of the navigation using the SN is smooth for about a second and then seems to freeze for a short while, up to 2 seconds at times. I tried copying the whole model into a new document and this solved the problem; no jerky motion at all.

Whilst this is a fix of sorts it is not satisfactory, especially considering the number of files that I have and use on multiple Macs - not all have the SN connected. I then read with interest comment from mwm5053 regarding the scenes and realised that the model I had opened also had multiple scenes set.

I reopened the file with jerky motion and tried updating the current scene. By chance I had altered the style and this prompted a Sketchup warning message. While the message box was displayed the motion of the model was perfect but as soon as I cleared it the motion became jerky again; further updating of the scene did not stop the stutters. I tried deleting all but one scene and adding new ones but again the stutters remained. Only by deleting all scenes did the motion become smooth and after this adding scenes or changing styles did not cause the motion to become jerky again.

It seems that there is some form of incompatibility with scenes or the way they are processed when a model is created without a SN connected. It could be that the 3D Connexion driver is somehow causing scenes to be handled differently either by Sketchup or by the driver acting as an intermediary processor. Perhaps Bryan may be able to comment on this.

It would be helpful to hear from others that have experienced this problem and see for sure if deleting all scenes resolves the stutters.

Cheers, Anthony