run as Joystick 64bit Driver for Vista. Need one? I do.

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Would be great if it could work as a joystick!

Poll ended at Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Naw, I think it fine as it is.
100%
It doesn't matter, I don't play games.
No votes

Total votes: 2

Generalx5

run as Joystick 64bit Driver for Vista. Need one? I do.

Post by Generalx5 »

I know the sources are open and all, but wouldnt life be much simpler if one solid consistant driver is made so users can use their 3DCONNEXION as a joystick. In flight simulator, this would be excelent for flying helicopters. push down, pull up for lifting lowering the heli, even the rudders can be used.... Staff of 3DCONNEXION, could you guys help us out a little bit? The other posting ...some 22 page or something of that length is rather confusing...leaving all the work up to an average joe NN "RBC9"

This product would have more sales if it had support for other applications, typical applications. The six axis is just none existant in the gamming world.

Theres so much potential in doing that, having a driver that works for Cad, wildfire, inventor etc...but has a second option where it can be used as a joystick

Thanks...

J.Z.
Generalx5

Post by Generalx5 »

I made a mistake on the poll...sorry guys, well, post your response instead.
capjlp

Buy it in a hearbeat for gamming

Post by capjlp »

Heck yea i would buy one of the space explorers if I knew it would work with The lord of the rings online ...
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

Not just for games, obscure little apps, like UV Unwrappers, and other smaller apps that take advantage of 3D Space, can all use this for navigation, and typically all implement their own clunky WASD or Right mouse click, contort your body to reach delete and tilde at the same time uset interface...

There are countless uses, most of which rely on KB / Mouse, and having an intermediary like that for 3DConnexion sucks, but beats not being able to sell them due to lack of support... until people wake up, and implement this from the start.
azraphale

Post by azraphale »

I have one that may go back to NewEgg if Logitech doesn't make it useful beyond a tiny handful of programs. If someone else does, fine, I don't really care who does it, but I can't go back to a 32-bit Windows OS, and I won't keep the thing if I can't use it more than once in a blue moon...
PowderGoblin

huge market

Post by PowderGoblin »

I noticed that close to 3000 people opened this post ...
Can we have in the poll also the option "I would pay 10 bucks extra to use it as a joystick".

I personally purchased it ONLY!!! with the intention to use it as a joystick. Because I code myself I would have given it a shot - only I am waiting for the little hiccup with compilation error on x64 to get resolved.

I LOVE the design - I would not think twice paying extra for the driver or for a ready made C# class that would take the guess work out of my programming.
azraphale

Post by azraphale »

I agree completely. I certainly feel a great deal of extra functionality is worth a small outlay of cash.

Of course, only a few of the folks here thus far have distributed any working code for the SpaceNavigator, and I'd be a little concerned about giving all the cash to someone without any sort of résumé showing that they can get results in writing the x64 driver. No offense, but truly anyone could walk up and say they can do it, and work a confidence scam. But if someone is for real and can deliver the goods, heck yeah I'll pay for it. I'd even pay Logitech for it, if they were to finally offer what should come with the hardware in the first place. ;)
PowderGoblin

Good point

Post by PowderGoblin »

You are right - Thank your very much for pointing this out.
I should have been more explicit.
I meant I would not mind paying a reasonable fee to the company for a product developed and supported by them - i.e. They include a "standard" version for free but want some sort of payment for the "joystick one".

I know, I know - I agree - they should have done it anyway. I am just trying to point at a fact that there is market for this.

I happened to also be OK in German and read the posts there - This guy kgrosser is just slamming them quite directly - curious to see what their reaction is to this letter.

Btw. - yes, I would not mind engaging in a private transaction either but nobody would actually try to sell a class as there is no way to protect the investment for such code - so this is a no starter I guess.
azraphale

Post by azraphale »

Well, I would imagine that a programmer would tackle a task like this for one of several reasons; 1) personal challenge, 2) looks good on the résumé if you're just starting out, 3) they own a SpaceNavigator and want the functionality themselves and don't mind heling out the rest of us who see the potential of a 6-axis controller that could become the "new mouse" or something to that effect. I'm probably missing a few in there, but that's the major bases. Certainly no one is going to develop this driver as a for-profit deal... If you don't control production and profit-making on the hardware, and you're not serving a niche market as the big fish in the little pond, there's no financial incentive to try and create something that is certainly bound to be copied and distributed freely. But for someone who has the skills and doesn't mind working for less than usual programmer's wages in the interest of having a lot of creative people be very happy and productive based on his or her work, we can also probably offer enough money to make it, if not profitable, at least not a stupid move when there are likely well-paying things the programmer could be doing for a software company instead of for SpaceNavigator users. ;) I am actually quite happy to sweeten the pot a little to get the value out of someone's knowledge and experience to do what I cannot in making the SN talk with all of my software and my OSes. :D It's worth it to me to spend the cash, and hopefully someone out there has enough desire, whatever the combination of personal challenge, exposure, income, etc. tips them over to the side of writing the driver for us all. :)

Hopefully, some of the rest of the readers of this thread are also willing to put their money where their mouth is. And while I've got a soft spot for indie programmers doing things the Steve Wozniak way, I'd be almost as gratified if Logitech released the driver. At the end of the day, my main interest is in using my SpaceNavigator the way I'd intended based on the 32-bit universal driver, and doing it without having to lose Windows compatibility and/or full use of the 8 GB of RAM in my CAD machine...
PowderGoblin

I agree

Post by PowderGoblin »

Yep - we are on the same page.
I will try to play in the mean time with the RBC9 driver offered on this forum.
Downloads are (to the best of my info) on rbc.duckinegg.com

Anyway - I think the management of development 3DConnexion must be having headaches by now from all the noise around the Joystick drivers. It appears that they have been listening to the drums for a long time.

One thing I can say - They are NOT stupid - If they do not do it, then there must be a business reason behind it. Such things are never a matter of just will-power to get it done.

If there is a business reason not to do it (whatever it is) - it is worrying me because it puts a limit on the product - anyway, not my call. Let's hope at least the fix for the x64 driver compilation problem gets resolved soon :?
Omniflux

64bit RBC9 driver

Post by Omniflux »

I have had two positive responses to the x64 version of the RBC9 driver I posted about in the RBC9 thread. You may want to try it...

--
Omni Flux
PowderGoblin

Thanks so much

Post by PowderGoblin »

Hi Omniflux,

Sorry for the late response - just did not have a chance to get to my mailbox.
I will definitely try the ideas.

In the mean time JWICK also helped me resolve some other problems which were resolved.
For whatever it is worth these are the two postings
- Differentiating between Roll and Spin
- No new posts C# Example compilation issue - missing something
Lycwolf

Post by Lycwolf »

I am also looking for something to use this as a 'joystick' in windows. My main goal is to us it as a camera controller for recording Source Engine game demos. I.E. I use fraps to fly around the map and record the tournaments and upload the videos to my gaming groups site.

This would be a perfect product to do that... And the source engine already supports joystick input.

I already use the device for many of the supported programs, but would love to be able to do more.

Thnx
Jimstein

Omniflux x64 version is working but has bug?

Post by Jimstein »

Hello! I see I am not the only one disappointed at the lacking default drivers.

I got the Omniflux x64 version of the RBC9 driver working just fine in my XP X64 SP2. Except that doing the tilt with the Spacenavigator will move the mouse cursor up and down on the screen – never from side to side. I will try if this is a problem with the original drivers on XP x84 as well. Can’t find that anyone else has reported this problem.

Only problem seem to be that the tilt is feeding its tilt both to Y Rotation on the Joystick driver aswell as to the Y position on the mouse. Sure it must be wrong this value have two outputs?

I did not notice any benefit of installing the RBC9 Layout manager and using it to load binds. The problem with the tilt is still percent so it is the driver that I the problem.

I am a developer so I can try to see if I can get the original drivers compile on my system and fix them.