Autocad 2008 - spacenavigator SE

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

S_ULFSTEIN

Autocad 2008 - spacenavigator SE

Post by S_ULFSTEIN »

Autocad 2008 and spacenavigator SE does not work properly.

I think there is an issue with autocad 2008 and the spacenavigator SE.

Here at work we bought the spacenavigator to be used in acad2008, we have the latest drivers from 3dconnexion, sp1 for acad2008 and latest Nvidia drivers.
When we zoom, pan (only to be used in 2d) using the normal mouse we have no problem, but at once as we try to activate the spacenavigator mouse it seems as acad does a regen and has to think for a while before it works. The screen blinks (regen), takes a while before working and then it seems as we can zoom / pan, but it is slow and realy not functioning good.
In big drawings it is better to just not try using the spacenavigator cause of the hickups.

Anyone else has the same problem?
Any settings, aplications to be downloaded that can make it work more smoothly?

Thanks for reading, srry for the bad english and hopefuly someone can help me.
:D
dkosburn

Post by dkosburn »

AutoCAD and 3Dconnexion devices don't really play nice together. 2D isn't really the intended audience. I had much better luck in AutoCAD using a Belkin *** ******** and setting up the macros for my AutoCAD commands, and just using the Navigator for Inventor / SolidWorks
dkosburn

Post by dkosburn »

wow... you guys filtered *********** ? Insecure much?

Edit: hide text violating the Forum Rules ("Don't post ads").
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi S_ULFSTEIN,

We are aware of problems while using our devices in 2D-mode of AutoCAD 2008 and we are trying to resolve them with Autodesk.
Does it work better for you when you change to "3D Wireframe Visual Style" and disable Tilt/Spin/Roll in the 3DConnexion Control Panel?
Robert Stadie
S_ULFSTEIN

Post by S_ULFSTEIN »

Thanks for answering, i have now tried to do as you write.
It does not seem to have any effect to the functionality.

The drawing / Autocad, seems to start "thinking" and i am not able to do anything until it finishes with whatever it does.
This time i did not get any clues to what it was doing.

Last time when i pressed the "F2" button i could read in the text window that autocad started the regeneration function.
This time there is no text that explain what autocad tries to activate.

Hopefuly we can get this to work properly.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Please send one of these big files to the EMail-Adress that you will find in your forums-inbox.
Robert Stadie
David Druin

3Dconnexion and AutoCAD 2008 in 2D.

Post by David Druin »

I have been using AutoCAD 2004 and a Spaceball 5000 for about five years. For those who use the 3Dconnexion devices in Inventor or Solidworks, I use to have the same functionality and productivity in AutoCAD 2004 in 2D mode. Being able to zoom and pan at the same time with your left hand (while transparently in another command) is faster than using a mouse wheel! But something happened in AutoCAD 2008 where the 3Dconnexion driver switches to 3D mode while zooming or panning and then switches back to 2D mode once the pressure is removed from the ball. The more entities in a drawing the longer this switching takes. Why the driver has to switch, I do not know. The way the device currently works is totally unacceptable. (latest driver for video card, 3Dconnexion, and Autodesk service packs)
DAD
tomatoe

2d AutCAD support would be super great please...

Post by tomatoe »

This 2D issue has been around while:

viewtopic.php?t=1547&highlight=

I am anxiously awaiting a solution, but somehow it doesn't seem to be a priority, even though it worked great in 2006.

Note that as I've previously stated, the 2d does seem perform in paperspace, but not in modelspace. Just make it work in modelspace, and we'll be good to go.

I haven't used my spaceball in months, and I am not recommending them to anyone on the team of CAD drafters I manage until this issue is resolved.
ChrisCAD

Post by ChrisCAD »

Yeah, all kinds of problems with AutoCAD 2008.
I use shift and scroll wheel now, no crashes, no long regens, etc.
I use 3DX for Rhino only now.
David Druin

3Dconnexion Device & AutoCAD 2008 2D Work Around

Post by David Druin »

3Dconnexion Spaceball 5000 USB & AutoCAD 2008 Work Around

1. Create a new tab in
DAD
zambori gyula

Acad2009 & Spacenavigator

Post by zambori gyula »

Autocad 2009 and Spacenavigator SE does not work cooperative?
zegye
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

As you can see on our list of supported applications AutoCAD 2009 is not supported yet. This will hopefully change in the (near) future.
Robert Stadie