Sapce Pilot in MCX

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mstlouis

Sapce Pilot in MCX

Post by mstlouis »

Recently Mastercam X has been crashing quite a bit. The Space Pilot has been diagnosed as the culprit contingent to the USB bus having enough power.
Is it the Space Pilot acting up or is the USB bus in my workstation failing?
PC is Dell Optiplex GX620, P4, 2.8ghz, 2GB ram, 14 months since new.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

mstlouis,
I haven't heard of this one before. I assume you have tried a different USB port? Is the screen on the SpacePilot malfunctioning at all? Have you updated to 3DxSoftware 3.0.9?
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
mstlouis

Post by mstlouis »

Hi Ken,

YEah, we've tried various ports with no change. What seems to make a difference is the size of the program. If I have only the part geometry in the file, no problem. When I begin adding the tooling fixtures and additional part geometry for more complecated work. Basically I went from programming simple parts on a VMC to more complicated work on a horizontal. This is when the problem began.
Several other friends have determined the PC needs to be upgraded. Currently I'm looking into a new system from BOXX.
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

mstlouis, I'm not entirely convinced your problem is related to you PC hardware. Have you contacted CNC Software about this problem? Since the 3D Navigation Device implementation has been done entirely by them, you may find a different opinion from them. At any rate, please post your findings here. I'm interested to hear the outcome.
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
mstlouis

Post by mstlouis »

Yeah, I posted on the mastercam forum and sent a detailed explaination to my mastercam support. Their reply was the graphics card I have has been known to cause problems. I have the ATI FireGL V5100. Was planning to try the nVidia Quadro FX3450.