Change to user view 3dsmax

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

hugovet

Post by hugovet »

I just got my spacenavigator PE today. The one thing i can not find out is why my " front, top and left" vieport change to userview as soon as i use the spacenavigator. i turned of rotate and rol but it stil happends.

is this just the way it works?

ps: im using 3dsmax7

thanks

hugo
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi hugovet

The named views are predefined view, if you will navigate with a 3D navigation device the name of the view will switch to "User"
hugovet

Post by hugovet »

I've seen In Rhino that you can zoom and pan in the non perspective viewports without changing the viewport type.
Is the a way to do this in 3dsmax? i dont really want to change back to after every time ive used the SN.

cheers
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi hugovet

This problem is unfortunately 3DS Max-related. The only solution, which let you remain in a named view (for example Front) is to set the checkmark to the "Enable Object Movement" under "Options" and "Enable Dominant Axis Filter" under "Device Settings" in the "3Dx Settings" window (available under the "Utilities" - "3DxStudio" - "Control Panel").

3Dconnection already asked AutoDesk to change the functionality, but until now we have unfortunately no positive answer.
Gubi

Post by Gubi »

I got the same problem!
When ever you have touched the default view you can't draw in them except the top view. When resetting the view I can draw again, but then i lot my Pan/Tilt/Zoom position.

Moving the object is not a solution or even a workaround.. Then you coordinate all get screwed up.

Reading thru this forum I see that this a known and long excisting problem. Any light at the end of the tunnel for a solution (soon)?
Regards

Gubi
sorin

Post by sorin »

it seems to me as expected. isometric views can only pan. if you rotate it becomes user view. SN is outputing all axes so the viewport becomes user. using something like viewport.setType #view_top for example resets to previous type. i think you could enhance this not to zoom to bounds.
techdef

Post by techdef »

I just got a SpaceExplorer today & am a bit unimpressed by this problem. I saw the earlier post about how its a deep and complicated problem... question is, is it possible to somehow disable pan/tilt/rotate when we're in the default max views rather than switching to user? I'd greatly prefer being able to use the max front/top/left views with pan & zoom only, then have full control when in user or perspective views.

Since one can easily set up keyboard shortcuts to go into those views & then pan or zoom, could it be possible to have say the T button go into the Max top view & then operate in it the way the SE does in acrobat?

-jamie
vikiing3

Post by vikiing3 »

So I'm not alone.....please keep pressure on AutoDesk to fix this very annoying problem. This is such an awesome device that really cuts down on time. AutoDesk should want to fix this immediately and promote it since it makes their software even better.
sorin

Post by sorin »

i see in max 2008 it works ok. don't know if autodesk or 3dconnexion or both found a way of fixing it but it does work as required.
vikiing3

Post by vikiing3 »

I got 9, I assume I have to upgrade ;-)