Space Navigator on SketchUp 2020 Zooming problem

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeDrafter

Space Navigator on SketchUp 2020 Zooming problem

Post by JoeDrafter »

Hi Guys. I just updated to SketchUp 2020 with the new driver 10.6.5 (3DxSketchUp 5.1.0)
It works but I have a strange problem with the zooming. When I zoom with the 3D mouse, combine with the scroll of my normal mouse to accelerate the process, the image stock. With the previous driver, the two action were working together, now they fight each other.

That makes SU2020 unusable for me and I had to roll back the driver and use SU2019. I really hope you guys can fix the problem ASAP so I can update to SU2020. THX

You can see a video of my problem here:
https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup- ... joedrafter
aalsalihi

Re: Space Navigator on SketchUp 2020 Zooming problem

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi JoeDrafter,

Can you please try updating your graphic cards then test it after. I'm assuming that's the main issue causing the image to stock while trying to zoom.
Will be waiting for some updates on your end.

Regards,
Abdul. A
jwhida

Post by jwhida »

Hi,
I have the same issue: mouse scroll wheel (zoom) and spacemouse (moving around any direction) fighting each other since 2020 upgrade.
I can't see how this is a graphics driver problem. Both movements are very clearly fighting each other.

Should I roll back to 2019 driver somehow whilst using ketchup 2020 ?
Please instruct

Sketchup 2020
3DxWare 10.6.5
3DxWinCore 17.6.5.17089

Cheers
Rory Walsh

Post by Rory Walsh »

Since upgrading to SketchUp 2020 my spacemouse enterprise has stopped working properly. I can navigate using the spacemouse but it is very unstable and jumpy. I'm running on a Windows 10 laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics Card (running latest driver). Running 3dxWare 10.6.5. I'd be grateful for assistance with this.
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Jwhida,

Did you test the issue and behavior on another applications? or in our Viewer?
- Open 3Dconnexion Home
- Click on Viewer
- Test it

If its causing a movement issue then have you calibrated the device? To calibrate please follow the steps here https://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/35
If its still an issue then we might need to send you a firmware update so please create a technical case here and will be more than happy to assist https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/tec ... mular.html

Regards,
Abdul. A
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

we have released a new version of our driver for Windows yesterday (20.04.2020) - this is 3DxWare 10.6.6, which you can download here. It includes an update for the plugin for SketchUp. Please install this version and see if the issue is fixed. Let us know what you find out.
4interiors

Post by 4interiors »

Hi UtaSH, I have tried the new drivers to see if they solve a problem that has been going on for a year. I use my Space Pilot Pro with Sketchup pro 2020 and Enscape 3d integrated in SketchUp. The latest driver working for me (but also for other SketchUp / Enscape users) is 10.5.15. From version 10.6.xx onwards there is the problem that going from SketchUp to Enscape and back the device freezes and you have to close the programs and reopen them if not even restart the pc. Note that up to the working version, the wording "Trimble Sketchup" remained on the display even when switching to Enscape and back, from 10.6 the wording changes to "Enscape 3d" and thus freezes even when returning to SketchUp. To date I have solved by uninstalling version 10.6.xx, installing old drivers (which do not recognize SketchUp 2020) and physically copying files from SketchUp 2019 to 2020. Today after uninstalling the old drivers and installing 10.6.6 the situation is is aggravated. The Space Pilot worked in SketchUp only with Zoom and Pan, no type of rotation, I tried in every way from the settings but nothing done. Turning to Enscape worked the rotation and the various movements but on returning to Sketchup it stopped until Enscape was turned off and returned to malfunction (only zoom and pan). I thought: no problem, I uninstall and use the old drivers. Too bad that the new installer had left a trace in Windows and I had to delete all 3dconnexion files and folders from the C disk to restore with the old drivers. I hope this situation is seen by those who can solve the problem. Thanks for your attention.
jwhida

Post by jwhida »

Hi,
I just tested with all your demos and there is no drift, etc.
going to install new Sketchup plugin now, and report back
aalsalihi wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 am Hi Jwhida,

- Open 3Dconnexion Home
- Click on Viewer
- Test it

If its causing a movement issue then have you calibrated the device? To calibrate please follow the steps here https://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/35
If its still an issue then we might need to send you a firmware update so please create a technical case here and will be more than happy to assist https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/tec ... mular.html

Regards,
Abdul. A
jwhida

Post by jwhida »

Hi,

No drift or other symptoms when i run the demos (with software version 3DxWare 10.6.5 to 10.6.7)
I updated to your latest driver 3DxWare 10.6.7, and there is a marginal improvement in sketchup , but the problem is still there.

To be more specific about the problem. In Sketchup the problem arises when i use the scroll wheel simultaneously with the spacemouse.
Previously (3DxWare 10.6.5) It was as if scroll wheel and spacemouse were fighting each other and then the viewpoint would jump to some random position.
Now with new software (10.6.7) at least it doesn't suddenly jump to some random location in the model after first jumping around, but still the contribution of the scroll wheel is not being incorporated into the overall movement. As i scroll whilst moving spacemouse the position shudders back and forth as if trying alternately to utilise scroll then jumping back to last known spacemouse position, then scroll, then jump back to last known space mouse position, etc, etc, shuddering jerky movement, with no lasting overall contribution of the scroll wheel.
So the problem is still there very much for me.

In previous versions of sketchup with spacemouse i have always zoomed with scrollwheel whilst moving with spacemouse, this enables one to zoom extra quickly when needed, even if also adjusting position and rotations with spacemouse. When i needed fine adjustment of lateral movement i just use spacemouse. it always worked beautifully as far back as i can remember, and the loss of this functionality very much restricts the freedom of movement the spacemouse represents for me.
I am hoping you can see the problem on your end and find a way to restore the previous behaviour of scroll wheel and spacemouse spatial movements working together smoothly, each augmenting the others movement.

Cheers
J
aalsalihi wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 am Hi Jwhida,

- Open 3Dconnexion Home
- Click on Viewer
- Test it

Regards,
Abdul. A
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Jwhida,

Thanks for the updates. I'm installing Sketchup 2020 to do the proper testing on my end and see if I can get the same behavior. It will be helpful as well if you could include a video showing the issues while using both SpaceMouse and CadMouse to see the viewpoint issues and to clarify for proper testing on my end. I will provide an update to this issue once I finish testing :)

Feel free to post any updates in the meantime.

Regards,
Abdul. A
jwhida

Post by jwhida »

aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Jwhida,

Thanks for the video, that was really odd! We would need to generate a diagnostic folder to see why this behavior is happening when using both devices in Sketchup. Please create a technical case here https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/tec ... mular.html

Will send the needed instructions after you create the case (Please make sure to include a link to this post in your case).

Regards,
Abdul. A
vinyard

Post by vinyard »

Okay, I'm not sure if the problem I am having is related but it seems like it might be.

For me, the joystick on the spacemouse freezes in Sketchup Pro 2019 and 2020, seemingly after using a customized button.

The following has *not* worked:
------------------
It’s possible the driver may need a cleaning. This will set everything back to factory settings on the 3Dconnexion Driver.
Please follow the steps below.
1. Uninstall the current driver on your machine by going to control panel.
2. Close down any application that would use the 3Dconnexion Driver.
3. Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming and delete the 3Dconnexion folder. (make sure hidden files are viewable)
4. Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local and delete the 3Dconnexion folder.
5. Click the 'Start' button and 'Run' type in 'regedit' and hit OK to bring up the Registry Editor. There is a registry entry under the branch HKEY_CURRENT_USER under the 'Software' folder. Delete the 3Dconnexion folder found in this location.
6. Close the registry editor.
7. Reinstall current Driver
8. Test.
------

I am running on the latest version of Windows 10, but have also tried all fixes on an earlier versions of Windows 10. I have no plugins installed except for what is automatically included in Sketchup and the 3Dconnexion plugin. I make sure I am not running any other software except Firefox when testing. It seems to function correctly until using a customized button. If I click around, use the cadmouse scroll wheel, etc.. it usually starts working again after a bit until I click the customized button again whereupon it immediately freezes the joystick.

Spacemouse has been playing nicely with Sketchup for me for at least a year now and since recreating the same environment for which it worked flawlessly for so long (minus all the 3rd party Sketchup plugins) doesn't solve the problem I am at a loss for what to try next. If anyone does find a fix I'll be looking forward to good productivity again.

David V. @ 3Dconnexion support has been very good at trying to help me solve this and was full of ideas to try up until this point. We now seem to be grasping a little.
jwick

Post by jwick »

vineyard,

What does the custom function do?

Before you execute the custom function (while the 3D mouse is still working), hover the cursor over the 3Dx systray icon. It should say something like Sketchup (Sketchup.xml).

After you run the custom function, what does it say?

You can also leave our GUI up and see if anything changes in it as you execute the custom function.
vinyard

Post by vinyard »

For the experiment I used 3Dconnexion Properties to set the forward thumb button on the cadmouse to 'rectangle' in Sketchup.

It says Sketchup.xml before and after pressing the customized button.
Annotation 2020-06-08 063531.png
Annotation 2020-06-08 063531.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 23286 times
I'm not sure what you mean buy leave up the GUI. To me that just means Graphic User Interface, which is the only way I know how to use Windows.