3ds max 2020 Navigation Mode is broken

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

clearskystudio

3ds max 2020 Navigation Mode is broken

Post by clearskystudio »

Hi dev team.
Unfortunately, there's another bug in the last release, although the new camera movement algorithm is very very good! Nice job there really, was dreaming of this for years!
Anyhow, here's how to reproduce the nav mode bug. Set the navigation to Camera Mode (my default one). Working good in perspective view, but after using the 3D mouse in any of orthographic view (Left, Right, etc) the mode is switched to Target Camera mode. Quite annoying. Please fix.
Thanks!
vinigor

Re: 3ds max 2020 Navigation Mode is broken

Post by vinigor »

Which version of the drivers do you use that your navigation works well at ?

I've tried all the latest versions and none of them are working correctly.
The main bug is described here https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&t=39105.
when it happens Pan mode stops working and 3D mouse becomes useless.

The other bug is described here. I need to turn off 3D mouse so I don't accidentally hang up the cameras https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&t=39103.
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

The driver version I used was the latest at the time of posting.

3DxWare 10.6.4
3DxWinCore 17.6.4.16911
SpaceMouse Pro (FW: 4.34)

3ds max 2020 SP3
Windows 10 Pro x64

The overall navigation experience has been improved significantly. They've implemented some kind of smart proximity algorithm which works great in big and small scenes without the need for re-zooming or re-focusing as it was before. Sensitivity settings have been very nicely tuned as well.

However, there's a couple of small bugs. I experienced the broken panning bug as well, but in my case, it was a result of turning on Viewport clipping with dramatic cut planes adjustments (I use it to get the section views in orthographic viewports). It immediately goes back to work normally after switching off viewport clipping. And that bug with Target Camera mode switching after navigation in the orthographic viewport, and strange light viewport buttons bug. That's all minor problems actually, but of course, needs to be fixed asap :D
thad

Post by thad »

Im also experiencing all these 3dsmax 2020 bugs, any ETA on a better driver?
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

Taking back my words about how minor those problems are!
Navigation mode change is very annoying!
tehamnes

Post by tehamnes »

Same problem here in 3ds max 2020. I hope this will be fixed soon. My 3d-mouse functionality is now reduced to a paper weight :cry:

Tried to roll-back to 10.6.0 but then the driver crashes continuously.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

on Feb 7th, we have released 3DxWare 10.6.5 with some changes to the 3dsmax plugin. You can download this version here. Please install 10.6.5 and let us know if this version of 3DxStudio fixes your issues.

Thanks,
vinigor

Post by vinigor »

clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

Turning on the "Only navigate the 3D view" option in the "Other Options" tab helps to avoid accidental switches but this works only in multiple viewports layout. Maximize an Ortho Viewport and 3D mouse works and breaks the mode again.
Locked Camera non-undoable moving problem isn't solved completely as well. Target Cameras still move regardless of the locks applied, the camera itself stays put but the camera's target still rotates, with no undo this bug is a real project ruiner! :shock:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

vinigor wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:45 am https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OD66t ... QlJ078wrqe
still switching
Hi vinigor,

can you confirm that you are using 3DxWare 10.6.5?
vinigor

Post by vinigor »

UtaSH wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 am Hi vinigor,

can you confirm that you are using 3DxWare 10.6.5?
Hi, UtaSH
video with version:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Lkaku ... whthJ59GrC

3ds max 2020
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

Is there a way of setting up a switch to Camera Mode to a keystroke? Some XML magic maybe, no? It would be a great temporary solution until new drivers released next month... :x
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi Vinigor,

We created an internal bug WIN-619 for this issue after reproducing it in 3ds max 2020. Our next driver should have the fix for this issue :)
If there's another issues or bugs then please let us know.

Regards,
Abdul. A
clearskystudio

Post by clearskystudio »

You guys feel comfy not having any competition at all out there, don't you? How such a messy release is even possible? Twice in a row, unbelievable! The third fail will definitely have noticeable consequences on your sales, have no doubts about that. I can't stress enough how it distracts my workflow! Don't want to risk it rolling back the drivers since there are very big chances of destroying the whole driver setup as it was many times before.
luping

Post by luping »

clearskystudio wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:08 pm You guys feel comfy not having any competition at all out there, don't you? How such a messy release is even possible? Twice in a row, unbelievable! The third fail will definitely have noticeable consequences on your sales, have no doubts about that. I can't stress enough how it distracts my workflow! Don't want to risk it rolling back the drivers since there are very big chances of destroying the whole driver setup as it was many times before.
The 3Dconnexion company is now independent again, split with the more financially affluent Swiss Logitech company, that means 3Dconnexion relies on itself in terms of financial sustainability. The 3D mouse and cadmouse hardware sales doesn't fare well for such a small company, may be due to high price for such computer peripheral devices compared to commodity computer peripheral devices market, which are designed for professional CAx/GIS/CG professional niche market. I hope they can lower the price to increase the sales volume to make more revenue, or come up with new business model like yearly driver update/maintenance subscription contract to make a dime.