As a 2D Mouse too, on Windows 10?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jwick

Re: As a 2D Mouse too, on Windows 10?

Post by jwick »

arch_jdreyes,

"Collect System Information" writes the zip file. Uncheck "Include dmp files" to make the file small enough to email.

If you want to permanently reassign these buttons, changing the Desktop cfg (with the Hard Grab) is the best way to do it.
The GUI ("Properties") will not help you. You have to change the XML file.
You only want one Desktop cfg. Not a Desktop.xml and a Desktop_2Dmouse.xml.

And what do you want the cap to do?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Yak_Forger38,

There is a ButtonAction to swap back and forth between the cfg being used by the current application and the Desktop cfg.
It is not normally exposed but it can be used. You can copy it from Base.xml.
Its name is "Driver_Desktop_ToggleGrab". All it does is set and unset the Hard Grab element in the Desktop cfg.

I usually assign it to a button on my device in my Global cfg. Then it is available all the time. Then I can press the button to toggle between 2D mouse mode and 3D mouse mode.

Sorry, the GUI doesn't support any of this. You have to edit the XML files.

E.g.,

Code: Select all

%appdata%/.../Global.xml:
<Global>
<ButtonActions>
		<ButtonAction Type="Driver_Other">
			<ID>Driver_Desktop_ToggleGrab</ID>
			<Name>STR_DRIVER_DESKTOP_TOGGLEGRAB</Name>
			<Image>
				<Source>[driver_images:Driver_Desktop_ToggleGrab.png]</Source>
			</Image>
		</ButtonAction>
<Devices>
   <Device>
      <Name>SpaceMouse Enterprise</Name>
		<ButtonBank>
			<Name>STR_DEFAULT_BUTTONBANK</Name>
			<ID>Default</ID>
			<Button>
				<Input>
					<ActionID>HIDButton_13</ActionID>
				</Input>
				<Output>
					<ActionID>Driver_Desktop_ToggleGrab</ActionID>
				</Output>
			</Button>
		</ButtonBank>
	</Device>
This is somewhat dependent on the application in use, since the ButtonBank "Default" is not used in some applications.

If you need more help on this I can give you an entire file over email.
Yak_Forger38

Post by Yak_Forger38 »

Thanks! It's all good, I managed to manage to do it by myself after reading your answer.
arch_jdreyes

Post by arch_jdreyes »

Hi jwick, alright I got the zip files you were asking for. It's in this link. removed by moderator
Where do you want me to email this?

Also, the cap just needs to move the cursor anywhere like what the Desktop_2DMode.xml is currently doing. I'm fine with just one Desktop cfg as I want to use SMW as a permanent 2D mouse if possible. Thanks.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi arch_jdreyes,

You can delete that wetransfer file now.

I found some problems:
1) The Desktop_2DMouse.xml file is not correct.
2) The Desktop_2DMouse.xml file is in the wrong dir. It can not be in %APPDATA%. The best place for it is %PROGRAMDATA%/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/Cfg. Delete it from %APPDATA%/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/Cfg.
3) No there is no particular reason for you to know this. The GUI should help you, but it doesn't. I'm happy to help. The next driver release will stick a Notification in your face about some of these sort of errors.

I'll email you a correct Desktop_2DMouse.xml. But it is for the latest driver not the one you have installed. You must upgrade before copying the file I will send you.

I'm not crazy about the way it works with my SMW. It seems too sensitive for me. It's up to how it works for you, but I'd adjust the scaling and maybe the null region so it doesn't start moving so quickly.
SwitchWrister

Post by SwitchWrister »

jwick,
Two quick questions come to mind. The first is how do we verify which driver version we have installed. I just connected my Pro today, so I'm kind of taking a crash course.

The second is, if I have the most current driver, would it be possible to get a copy of the 2D xml file?
Thanks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello SwitchWrister,

Today the latest driver is 10.6.4. Open the GUI (3Dx systray icon->Open 3Dconnexion Properties)->More->About: 3DxWare 10.6.4

I've put a current version of Desktop_2DMouse.xml here. (link updated 28-Sep-2023)
You can drop this file into the ProgramData as mentioned previously. You might have to delete a Desktop.xml file if you have one in AppData.

Let me know why you want this functionality. It will help me to make the case internally for proper support. Copying files around is ridiculous.
iconradez

Post by iconradez »

Hello Jwick

I am running windows 8 i would like to use my SpacePilot (not pro) as a 2D mouse.
I am using 6.16.1 version of the driver since i found on 3DConnexion's website this is the latest supported version of the driver considering my SpacePilot device. I copied the xml file into "C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\2DMouse.xml".
It has that specific attribute "<Grab>Hard</Grab>"
It does not work unfortunately, however I have Ubuntu installed on the same computer when i plug in the device while ubuntu is running i can actually use it as a 2D mouse so it is possible.

Thank you for your help
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is no support for any of this in that old driver.
iconradez

Post by iconradez »

Do you know a way to achieve what i mentioned ?
I tried to install windows 10 then use latest version of the driver but it did not work. I tried RBC9's driver on windows 8 but when i installed the driver for HID-compliant device it did not work. As I said on linux it works like charm.
I was thinking to mix things up, use the latest version driver and 3dxware software to control the buttons then use a different method to control the mouse and if they can run at the same time on a system i would be happy :D
jwick

Post by jwick »

The SpacePilot is very old. Support for it ended many years ago. Modern devices do work.

Keep in mind that it is a joystick. By its very nature it is difficult to do some of the things a 2D mouse is very good at. Such as stopping right where you tell it to. You are controlling velocity, like with one of those little red joysticks in the middle of a ThinkPad keyboard.

There may be some other third party software products out there that will read a HID device and move the cursor. Google might know. HIDtoJoy or something like that???
manishareddy333

Post by manishareddy333 »

Thanks for the explanation
spacecube

Post by spacecube »

Hi jwick

I know this is kind of old but I have also found my SpaceMouse Compact laying around useless. Since i no longer work with 3D Software and CAD I really like to use this thing as a mouse.

I have installed the latest Software found on the 3DConnexion website and i have copied the latest xml file you have provided on Jan 10, 2020.

But sadly nothing happens. I can use the buttons for left and right mouse click, but there is no movement of the cursor at all.
Is there anything else i have to do, to make it work?

those are the steps i've done:
1. Installed latest version of 3DConnexion Software Version 10.6.7.3198
2. copied the xml into %PROGRAMDATA%/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/Cfg
3. Started the software.

My Device version is: SpaceMouse Compact (FW: 4.37)

Would be awesome if you could help me make it work so i can use it as a normal mouse.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Try changing the ID inside that file that you put into %ProgramData% from
<ID>ID_STR_DESKTOP</ID>
to
<ID>ID_Desktop_Cfg</ID>

(use notepad/notepad++)
spacecube

Post by spacecube »

Hi jwick,

Awesome! It is working like a charm now!

Many thanks! I'm very happy now :)