[Win10] Wheel device interface for 3Dconnexion devices

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

4chip4

[Win10] Wheel device interface for 3Dconnexion devices

Post by 4chip4 »

I know it's a long shot, but would there be interest in making the 3Dconnexion devices wheel device compatible?

An example of wheel devices is the Surface Dial and there is now an official protocol description for it

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ementation

While only a subset of what you can do with the various 3D mice, I feel that for apps that don't need a full profile it would be a far better solution than complex profiles, or, worse, going through the SDK.
jwick

Re: [Win10] Wheel device interface for 3Dconnexion devices

Post by jwick »

Seems like something we could add to our KMJ[R] emulator.
4chip4

Post by 4chip4 »

jwick wrote:Seems like something we could add to our KMJ[R] emulator.
If possible, that would be great! It would be really really nice if the same 3Dconnexion device could be used in both 3D work and the 2D inking where the radial devices excel.

In addition, the various 6DOF devices have the unique opportunity of being BOTH a mouse and a radial device simultaneously, allowing for richer interaction.

If there is any way I can help to make it happen, let me know (I have both a Dial and a SpaceNavigator and not afraid to touch code).
jwick

Post by jwick »

Which applications do you use the dial for?
What does it do (functionally)?
Does it have different modes that you select in some way? E.g., color, intensity characteristics?
How do you change its behavior/mode? I see they have a control app in their videos. Is that all there is to it?
Is it consistent from app to app or completely tailored to the app?
You just have 1 click and 1 rotate DOF I assume.
I assume it also works separate from the Surface Studio. Where do the "controls" come up in that use? At the cursor position?
It is interesting that it knows where it is on the Surface "surface" to bring up the controls under itself.
It looks absolutely painful for use in Maps.
4chip4

Post by 4chip4 »

jwick wrote:Which applications do you use the dial for?
What does it do (functionally)?
Does it have different modes that you select in some way? E.g., color, intensity characteristics?
How do you change its behavior/mode?
I use it for
a) 2D Inking

The biggest benefit for me is that a Dial makes the work environment TWO HANDED. It's not about replacing the mouse or pen, but using the non-dominant hand for simple tasks like line width, orientation, ruler, and add 1 super-smooth DOF. This is what I'd hope a Spacepilot would (also) be good for, when the Radial functionality is enabled. I already used my Spacepilot in this fashion prior to the Dial, but the profiles and non-standard Windows support make this way more cumbersome than using the Dial.

b) A keyboard replacement in touch enviroments

Shortcuts can be assigned to the menu even in non-Radial aware apps, so for apps (especially during client presentations) it comes super handy to switch view modes, open/close things, on devices that don't have a keyboard.

In all honesty, it's probably easiest to think about as a mouse wheel on steroids, but the form factor makes it very well suited for non-dominant hand use, far better than a second mouse (3D or not).
I see they have a control app in their videos. Is that all there is to it?
It's not really a separate app, it's a Windows interface, ie. you program it via an API (or in Windows settings) and that defines what it will show/do.
Is it consistent from app to app or completely tailored to the app?
In windows settings you can define what the defaults are if the app is unaware (f.ex. I use things like scroll, zoom, volume there, and a few app-specific kbd-shortcuts). It's a super convenient volume dial, albeit a ridiculously expensive one :)
You just have 1 click and 1 rotate DOF I assume.
When used standalone, yes. When used with a Surface Studio/Book, it also has an "on-screen" property along with X/Y coordinates, but I guess this would not apply to a 3Dconnexion device.
I assume it also works separate from the Surface Studio. Where do the "controls" come up in that use? At the cursor position?
It works with any BT-enabled PC (all current Surface devices support the on-screen mode, not just Studio). When off-screen, the UI comes up on a "last used" location, and you can move it around with mouse drag-n-drop.
It is interesting that it knows where it is on the Surface "surface" to bring up the controls under itself.
The bottom of the Dial projects a capacitive pattern. The Surface touchscreen driver can recognize this pattern and then talks to the OS so it does not interfere with the "regular" Windows touch functionality, but provides presence information.
It looks absolutely painful for use in Maps.
Yeah, Maps is probably not the most useful use-case in the current implementation.
EricM81

Post by EricM81 »

What are the chances of getting the Surface Dial mode for the space mouse? I have more and more 2D apps that support the dial but down't support my space mouse.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello EricM81,

It would help me make the case if I had a list of the applications you use which use the Surface Dial.

Thanks,
Jim