Layout Drivers (with Sketchup Pro)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DavidN

Layout Drivers (with Sketchup Pro)

Post by DavidN »

There is still a long and ongoing wait to get an API in Layout for which drivers can be written for a space navigator to control Layout (panning and zooming). There are a number of threads on this on the Sketchup Community forums.

This thread https://forums.sketchup.com/t/3d-connex ... yout/24220 shows a 3D connexion control menu from a Mac that the writer claims to have used as a workaround to make Space Navigator control Layout.

How do we get this control menu for the Windows version of Space Navigator for SU2017? I cant seem to find it.

David
UtaSH

Re: Layout Drivers (with Sketchup Pro)

Post by UtaSH »

Hi DavidN,

the driver for Windows and Mac are pretty different. The Mac user has just a workaround that does not provide navigation with the 3D mouse but simulation of mouse wheel and middle mouse button click.

Unfortunately Layout doesn't provide the API for a plugin that would enable the navigation with the 3D mouse. See here. You can push this request at Trimble by asking for this feature.
JoeDrafter

Post by JoeDrafter »

Hi guys, I have a problem with the SpaceNavigator detecting SketchUp Layout. I just two weeks ago reinstall a new complete system: Win10 with SketchUp pro 2018. The SpaceNavigator detect all softwares I use (Photoshop, Google Earth, Chrome, etc) it works perfectly in SketchUp with the plugin installed but in Layout.. Nothing.

I use my SpaceNavigator in my previous system Win7 with SketchUp Layout 2017,2016 and 2015. Everything always works find but for some reason, it stopped worked in Win10 LO 2018. Note that if I use Google Earth just before then I switch to Layout, the mouse work but with the setting of GoogleEarth. It just doesn't detect that I switch to Layout software.

Have ideas?

3DxWare 10.5.4
3DxWinCore 17.5.4.14569
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi JoeDrafter,

there is no support for the 3D mouse in SketchUp Layout. Trimble Layout does not have an API we can use.
awburgess

Post by awburgess »

I have been searching for a solution to this issue, and this seems like the most current discussion I have found.

I don't understand why Trimble having an API for layout makes any difference. The space mouse can see and interact (even if minimally) with all of my other applications (many of which I am sure don't have an API). The puck may not work, or only work as a scroll wheel, which is fine, but I can still record macros to the buttons.

I would like to add common layout tools to the controller buttons for layout too.
michal.bieniek

Post by michal.bieniek »

I would love to see Layout Sketchup support for CAD Mouse and other things from 3D Connexion