Programs on Spacepilot Pro screen

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

philnolan3d

Programs on Spacepilot Pro screen

Post by philnolan3d »

Today I bought a pre-owned Spacepilot Pro to replace my aging Spacepilot. On the original the screen showed the current program I was using as well as anything I've set up for the programmable buttons. I set up the Pro today, installed the latest drivers, but the screen is blank, it just says "Switch to program:" at the top but then the rest is blank.

I don't have the manual so I'm just trying to figure it out as I go. Do I have to manually add programs to the list? Will it automatically switch between them like the old one?

So far I like it but the buttons aren't as easy to find just by touch. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
Phil Nolan
3D Generalist
http://www.philnolan3d.com
Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
philnolan3d

Re: Programs on Spacepilot Pro screen

Post by philnolan3d »

I reinstalled the drivers, this time checking the box for "remove old settings". Now I have a few programs in the list. Function Keys, RSS Feed, and Picture Viewer. But it still isn't showing any of the programs that I use. 3D-Coat, LightWave 3D, Photoshop, etc. Is there some way to add them?
Phil Nolan
3D Generalist
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Phil,

The SPP uses a Logitech component for the LCD (same LCD as in their KBs of that vintage). Make sure you install the Logitech LCD Manager and the SPP applets in our installer. You probably already did that.
The LCD applet idea, even though started by Microsoft, never really caught on.

Switch to the Function Keys applet using the SPP keys (at the top). This applet should act exactly the same as your SpacePilot LCD.

This has not aged well. After our split with Logitech, they changed their KB software in a way that is incompatible with the hardware we used in the SPP. As a result, their software causes conflicts with the SPP hardware. You can't run their SW with the SPP.

The SpaceMouse Enterprise has much better buttons and LCD. We also don't use the Logitech SW anymore, so it has a better future. The SPP is already, or will soon be, out of support.
philnolan3d

Post by philnolan3d »

The only thing I installed was the driver from the 3DConnexion website. I'll look into this further. I did figure out how to use my programs with the mouse though, the software is a bit different from the old one. Previously there was a drop down box to choose which program you wanted to edit, now you have to have that program running and active.
Phil Nolan
3D Generalist
jwick

Post by jwick »

You were still running the beta software?

One big difference from then is that you now can not edit a cfg w/o having the application running and in focus.

Your old cfg files may be upgraded successfully. There have been several cfg format versions since the beta. Keep a copy of your old files. I'll help you upgrade them if the driver doesn't do it.

All the functionality you had in the old cfg files should still be there. But the new GUI isn't going to help you modify the parts that it doesn't understand. It should cause no harm though.
philnolan3d

Post by philnolan3d »

Beta software? I didn't even know that was available. I just downloaded the latest for my device. Until they stopped putting out updates for my device that is, then I just kept using the same driver for a few years.
Phil Nolan
3D Generalist