3DConnexion Drivers for Mac OS Mojave

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

rjtiedeman

Re: 3DConnexion Drivers for Mac OS Mojave

Post by rjtiedeman »

Any news on Mac OS Mojave drivers or the next big update to OS 10.15 is on its way and will change everything about the time the fix is here for OS Mojave.
davezoo

Post by davezoo »

SpaceMouse Enterprise
Driver: 3DxWare 10.6.2

After countless uninstall and reinstall there is no Allow button...

ianveroni

Post by ianveroni »

Hi,
I've run my Spacemouse Pro (wired) for years and never had an issue until now. Using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) OS:Mojave 10.14.5 and I get exactly the same response! Uninstall/Re-install with latest driver version (3DxWare 10.6.2) and still no luck!

Where is the "3DConnexion S.A.M." 'Allow' button supposed to be? It's not showing up under 'Privacy' button either per @davezoo GIF.

Sooo frustrating that this thread has gone on for this long. Help, deadlines are now!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi,

Here's a word directly from the software team: we're on it. We had to pull version 10.6.2 due to the installation issue with the kernel extension (kext). We're currently investigating what causes it.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Nuno Gomes
davezoo

Post by davezoo »

I can see that they pulled the update but here is what I did.

If you have this problem, your extension is already disabled.
To confirm this, press cmd + space (spotlight search) and type System Information and press enter.
On the left side under the Software section select Disabled Software. You will see the disabled 3dconnexion software.

The fix, if you have already installed the driver. If you do not have the driver installed, disabling SIP then installing the driver might be enough but i did not test that.
Make a backup and follow at your own risk.

1. Disable SIP.
1.1 Reboot into Recovery mode. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R
1.2 Open Terminal. In the menu select Utilities -> Terminal.
1.3 Run the following command. csrutil disable
1.4 Quit Terminal and restart.

2. Editing Kext policy
2.1 Open Terminal, after you rebooted and logged in.
2.2 Run sudo -s to have the necessary privileges
2.3 Run sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy to open the database
2.3.1 (optional, just explanation until 2.3.3) Run PRAGMA table_info('kext_policy'); to see the structur of the table.
2.3.2 Run SELECT * FROM kext_policy; to query all your third-party kexts. In the list you will see that the 3dconnexion ones have a 0 in the allowed column.
2.3.3 From the list you need the team_id which is 9D93Y2RD6L.
2.4 Run UPDATE kext_policy SET allowed = 1 WHERE team_id = '9D93Y2RD6L'; You can check if the update was successful by repeating step 2.3.2.
2.5 Press ctrl + D to exit from sqlite3, then type exit and press enter to exit from bash. Quit Terminal.
2.6 Reboot
2.7 If you click the Open “Security & Privacy” button in the 3Dconnexion Home app, now you will see the Allow button. Click it.

Then you will get this message. Dear developers, can you see this? macOS Catalina is coming... new driver in 2020?

3. Enable SIP.
3.1 Reboot into Recovery mode. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R
3.2 Open Terminal. In the menu select Utilities -> Terminal.
3.3 Run the following command. csrutil enable
3.4 Quit Terminal and restart.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

davezoo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:09 am Then you will get this message. Dear developers, can you see this? macOS Catalina is coming... new driver in 2020?

Indeed. We are aware notarization is a requirement for macOS 10.15.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi,

Here's an update concerning the kernel extension installation problem on macOS 10.14.5.

Although we were aware about the requirement to "notarize" all software for macOS 10.15, we did not register that macOS 10.14.5 introduced this requirement for kernel extensions. This alone is at the source of the issues reported by our customers and we are sorry.

Completing the notarization of the software was easy enough to do. As stated previously, we had looked into it in preparation to support macOS 10.15. What has proven to be a challenge is validating the fix which also explains why the software was published with the problem going unnoticed by our team.

As far as we can determine, the issue is only reproducible on newer Mac machines running macOS 10.14.5. Older machines will ignore the missing notarization even if running that very same version of macOS. We do not know why there is this difference but it goes to explain why we didn't catch it during testing: the "clean" system checks were done on older Macs running macOS 10.14.5. Somehow Gatekeeper appears to operate differently depending on the actual Mac hardware.

The dmg of v. 10.6.3 of 3DxWare 10 is being put through its paces and we expect to publish it by July 22nd.

Again, our sincere apology to our costumers from Software Engineering. The team is disappointed (gutted is a better word) for having failed to offer the service you are entitled to expect from 3Dconnexion.
Nuno Gomes
popevideo

Post by popevideo »

Thanks for the update on the driver! Looking forward to testing it out!
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

All NEW macs have The Apple T2 Security Chip. Most likely cause of our issues. Apple is all about security. "Lock HIM Up"

Quoted from Apple.
"For example, the T2 chip enables a new level of security by including a secure enclave coprocessor that secures Touch ID data and provides the foundation for new encrypted storage and secure boot capabilities. And the T2 chip's image signal processor works with the FaceTime HD camera to enable enhanced tone mapping, improved exposure control, and face-detection–based autoexposure and auto white balance."
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi rjtiedeman,
rjtiedeman wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:18 am All NEW macs have The Apple T2 Security Chip. Most likely cause of our issues. Apple is all about security. "Lock HIM Up"

Quoted from Apple.
"For example, the T2 chip enables a new level of security by including a secure enclave coprocessor that secures Touch ID data and provides the foundation for new encrypted storage and secure boot capabilities. And the T2 chip's image signal processor works with the FaceTime HD camera to enable enhanced tone mapping, improved exposure control, and face-detection–based autoexposure and auto white balance."
Internally, we also speculated if the T2 chip had something to do with the different Gatekeeper behaviour but we don't really know. That "secure boot" reference is probably related.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi,

We have published version 10.6.3 of 3DxWare 10 for macOS earlier today, July 23. The software is available for download from here and addresses MAC-112, the issue with the kernel extension installation on some Macs running macOS 10.14.5.

The installation has been verified on macOS 10.14.5. We have also run through a few test cases today on macOS 10.14.6.

We recommend to only install the software on systems connected to the Internet. As far as we can tell, macOS' Gatekeeper still requires connectivity to Apple's servers to confirm the software integrity even if our driver pkg has a "stamped ticket" with the notarisation data.

We're now working on v. 10.6.4 aiming to fully support the notarisation requirements of the upcoming macOS version 10.15.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

I installed the latest 10.6.3 drivers on my iMac Pro running OS 10.14.6. They are not working on restart. If I pull the USB receiver and replace everything is OK until restart. Looking forward to your next version.
Attachments
USB Receiver is not seen by paring app.png
USB Receiver is not seen by paring app.png (231.17 KiB) Viewed 22595 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

HI rjtiedeman ,
rjtiedeman wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am I installed the latest 10.6.3 drivers on my iMac Pro running OS 10.14.6. They are not working on restart. If I pull the USB receiver and replace everything is OK until restart. Looking forward to your next version.
Alas, that's a separate issue to the notarization in macOS 10.14.5 and newer. We're tracking this as MAC-48 and is proving to be a difficult problem to resolve.
keithw

Post by keithw »

The issue (at least on my iMac Pro) is SIP. With SIP disabled, the 10.6.3 driver loads. With SIP enabled, it will not load. I think you folks already know this but wanted to give you some more feedback. As somebody pointed out, ALL new Macs are now coming with T2 chips.
keithw

Post by keithw »

By the way, I checked "Davezoo" 's method for checking the kernel policy database, and the 3Dconnexion driver IS in the database with the correct vendor ID (best as I can tell.)