Mgl3DCtlrRPCService + CATIA - Memory Leak

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

moo

Mgl3DCtlrRPCService + CATIA - Memory Leak

Post by moo »

Hello,

we have a strange issue with Mgl3DCtlrRPCService
When using our Spacemouse Pro in CATIA R26 HF38, the Handles of Mgl3DCtlrRPCService increase by about 50/sec. This does not happen in other applications. After a couple of days usage, there are about 1.5m handles occupied by that service, which eats up a couple of gigabytes RAM. Restarting service helps but is only a temporary solution.
We face this issue on over 100 machines, Windows 7 x64 aswell as Windows 10 1607-1903 using 3dxware 10.5.10 up to 10.5.15.

Small video:

I contacted 3dconnexion support, but after a few mail xchanges, they wont reply to me anymore. new tickets about this issue will be closed.
Any help is appreciated!
jwick

Re: Mgl3DCtlrRPCService + CATIA - Memory Leak

Post by jwick »

Hello moo,

I have verified the problem you see.
I will let you know what I find out; whether there is a work-around or you have to wait until we fix it.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and point it out.
Jim
jwick

Post by jwick »

Wow. You deserve some sort of award for finding that.
That bug has been there so long our source control system can't even tell me who created it.

Can you PM me who you contacted in tech support so I can find out why your request went unanswered (and unforwarded to development)? I'd rather not have those details in the forum.

Unfortunately we just did a release last night (10.6.0). So this has to wait until the next release (10.6.1), whenever that is.
I'll talk to tech support to see if we can give you a specific fix for this. It is quite isolated.

We can continue over PM.

Thank you very much for your persistence,
Jim
3Dx swdev
moo

Post by moo »

Hi Jim,

thanks for your quick reply!

Unfortunately i cant pm you - "We are sorry, but you are not authorized to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature."

We could continue via regular email - my mail is in my profile.

Best regards,
Lorenz
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Lorenz,

I'm with Jim's team and I'd also like to thank you for bringing this up to our attention. If, in one hand, it is beyond satisfying to squash what we believe is a bug older than our SCM (we believe the bug is 15 years old or more), we are disappointed for not having offered the support you were expecting and entitled to have. We are sorry.

With that said, we're working with our customer service colleagues to get a build of Mgl3DCtlrRPCService.exe that you can use to verify the bug fix, should you be interested in doing so. To confirm the fix, it will be enough to:
  1. Install v. 10.6.0 of 3DxWare 10 (or simply v. 17.6.0 of the 3DxWinCore driver).
  2. Stop the driver.
  3. Stop the "Mgl3DCtlrRPCService" service (see below note).
  4. Replace the Mgl3DCtlrRPCService.exe file with the fixed executable.
  5. Start the "Mgl3DCtlrRPCService" (or reboot the system).
  6. Start the driver and re-run the scenario with CATIA to confirm if the leakage is gone.
Note: starting and stopping services can be done from the "Services" tab of Task Manager if running elevated (as administrator).
Nuno Gomes
moo

Post by moo »

Hi!

Also thank you too for participating in fixing this!
Im happy to see this finally getting fixed. Just PM me a link to the replaced service binary and i will test this out by tomorrow with me and 2 colleagues involved in this. Expect feedback!

Thank you so much for the smooth suppport. wish it could more often than this.
Lorenz
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Lorenz,
Just PM me a link to the replaced service binary and i will test this out by tomorrow with me and 2 colleagues involved in this.
My colleagues in the technical support team will be getting in touch. You will have the opportunity to check a pre-release build of the affected executable.
moo

Post by moo »

Great! The new service binary you sent me today fixed this issue.
You cant imagine how happy i am seeing this finally getting fixed! Thanks a million for everyones support!

Is there any ETA about the new version getting released?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

moo wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:03 am Great! The new service binary you sent me today fixed this issue.
Excellent. Thank you for taking the time to verify the fix and, again, for having reported it in the first place.
Is there any ETA about the new version getting released?
No hard ETA yet. The fix will be in the next release (v. 10.6.1), expected to be issued in July.