Does SpaceMouse Try to Access Internet?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptSpaceMaus

Does SpaceMouse Try to Access Internet?

Post by CaptSpaceMaus »

While on the phone, I noticed the green light come on on my SpaceMouse - I have a bad habit of leaving the mouse on. I dismissed the light as I assumed I had disturbed it by bumping the desk. A few minutes later, I saw the light come on again, but this time, I was backed away from the desk and was sure I had not touched it. However, on the outside chance I had bumped the desk or something, to see if that was the cause, I hit the desk top lightly, then a little more firmly, thinking I could cause the light to come on, thus explaining it's "waking up." While other items on the desk reflected the slight disturbance from hitting the desk, the mouse did not respond. Yet a few more minutes later, I again saw the light come on. Again, I had not touched the desk or anything on it. I was backed away from the desk at least 18 to 24 inches, my feet propped on the chair legs.

The computer was not on. And in fact, the power strip in which the computer and a USB hub are plugged into, was not even on. The nano receiver and the cable for the mouse are both plugged into that USB hub. The cable was plugged into the mouse at the time, however, again, neither the computer nor the power strip was on.

Why would the green light on the SpaceMouse have been lighting up periodically* ... can or does the SpaceMouse itself attempt to look for an internet connection, or attempt to search the internet for updates or something? Is battery power enough to allow the mouse itself (without benefit of a powered up device and software on that device) to search for the internet if it is capable of doing so?

The seemingly unwarranted activity has me a tad concerned.

*I do not know how often the light was coming on, i.e. every minute, two minutes, five minutes, etc., but I'm fairly sure the intervals were not regular.

Thanks

NOTE: searched forum with "does mouse look for internet connection," but results did not apply
UtaSH

Re: Does SpaceMouse Try to Access Internet?

Post by UtaSH »

Hi CaptSpaceMaus,

the green LED on the SpaceMouse Wireless (or SpaceMouse Pro Wireless - I don't know which device you have) is lit on for 5 sec if the device had been untouched for 5 min or more and wakes up. A vibration of the desk might do this already.

The LED has nothing to do with the driver connecting to the internet. As you noticed this process is even active when no driver is running (no computer running) It's a functionality of the device itself (firmware).
CaptSpaceMaus

Re: Does SpaceMouse Try to Access Internet?

Post by CaptSpaceMaus »

UtaSH wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:43 am Hi CaptSpaceMaus,

the green LED ... is lit on for 5 sec if the device had been untouched for 5 min or more and wakes up. A vibration of the desk might do this already.
Hi Uta ... thanks for your reply. I had begun to think I would never see one.

There was no disturbance of the desk (or mouse)...this is what had me puzzled. And then when I intentionally tried to trigger the LED into lighting up, it would not.

If the LED lights up normally on occasion without any disturbance, I can accept that, as long as it has nothing to do with it somehow trying to access the internet on it's own, or that it's not been hacked or something.

Thanks again... :D