Patran 2017 not recognizing config file

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tck5054

Patran 2017 not recognizing config file

Post by tck5054 »

We were recently forced to upgrade to Windows 10 at work and in turn Patran 2017. I've found that Patran 2017 won't read my custom config file.

The file is located here: %appdata%\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg ; named patran.xml ; and here are the first lines of the xml:

<AppInfo>
<Signature>
<Name>MSC.Patran Application</Name>
<ExecutableName>patran.exe</ExecutableName>
</Signature>
<Options />
</AppInfo>
<CfgProperties>
<InheritsFrom>STR_DEFAULT_KMJ</InheritsFrom>
</CfgProperties>

All seem to be correct to me. When I bring up the settings window all the custom preferences are there (i.e. zoom direction, speed, reverse on/off) but when I try to control my model all the default controls are used.

All my other programs work fine when I change my settings except Patran. I've tried deleting the config file and letting the program recreate it and reinstalling the driver.

Anyone else with a similar issue and/or solution.
luping

Re: Patran 2017 not recognizing config file

Post by luping »

MSC software is now part of Hexgon, may be you should contact Hexgon MSC support for possible Patran upgrade like 2018 or the latest 2019 version for the new windows 10 OS.
luping

Post by luping »

Sorry, typo error, it's Hexagon.
tck5054

Post by tck5054 »

Thanks for the reply. I have found a solution for my issue.

There is an issue with Patran 2017 when using Up/Down Zoom, it does not work.

It has been corrected in 2018 however you cannot let the 3dconnexion driver create the config file at %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg. You need to first copy the patran.xml from the Patran install directory (C:\appl\MSC\Patran_x64\20180 for me) to %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg. You can then manually update that xml or do it through the driver. There are some header differences that Patran needs

Hope that helps anyone else