Unable to open any PDF after installing 3DxWare

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

imagejm

Unable to open any PDF after installing 3DxWare

Post by imagejm »

Fresh installed Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0 (Build 17763) / 3DxWare64_v10-5-13_r2933 :

After installing the 3DxWare package it is impossible to open any PDF with Acrobat Reader DC (newest version). Every start of Acrobat results in a dead Acrobat Reader process in the task list.

Following error window occurs each time:
LogError.cpp: Error opening log file for msg: siappdll: __FILE__: src/appmmap.cpp, __LINE__: 271, ErrorVal: -3
When i deinstall 3dware the problem does not occur anymore.
erikbak

Re: Unable to open any PDF after installing 3DxWare

Post by erikbak »

Hi,

You are not the only one with this issue (3Dconnexion 'mouse' PLUS new version of Adobe -> slow opening of PDF files).

I suggest you take a look discussion over here:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/10974882#10974882

Kind regards,
Erik
srypstra

Post by srypstra »

I had a somewhat similar problem.
When trying to use an Adobe Reader DC tool (e.g. measure, comment), and then scrolling using my SpaceNavigator, I had the following error box:

"
siappdll
LogError.cpp: Error opening log file for msg: Siappdll: do_get_event: Accumulated from 0 motion events -- Tx=0 Ty=0 Tz=0 Rx=0 Ry=0 Rz=0 p:16
"

[The zeroes can be any number from approximately -2000 to +2000; the p:16 seems constant.]

A workaround from AnandSri Adobe Staff via erikbak's link seems to work for me so far:
Disable the 'Protected mode at startup' in Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>Disable this option>click OK>restart the application.
(I did not need to disable enhanced security)
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

I am able to open PDF files in Acrobat DC and Acrobat X Pro with 3DxWare64_v10-5-13_r2933 in Win 7 and Win 10, and have also been adding 3DxAcr3d.api to my plug_ins folders.

I have been seeing an error message in Acrobat when using the SpaceNavigator and SpaceMouse Pro:

This error goes away if I roll back to 3DxWare 10.5.12.
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

It's also important to note that the siappdll error only occurs when there are a lot of objects on screen. Zoom out far on a multipage scrolling view to experience this.
Michael Hoopes
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello all,

I apologize the trouble you encounter with the Adobe Reader. We are aware about this issue and we are tracking it with our internal Bug number WIN-297.

As a workaround you can unistall the plugin for Adobe Acrobat 3D. Go to “Programs and Features” and “Change” the installation of the “3Dconnexion 3DxWare”.
03_UnselectAdobeAcrobatPlugin.jpg
03_UnselectAdobeAcrobatPlugin.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 25147 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

One other alternative appears to be disabling the "Run in AppContainer" option in the Reader preferences panel.

We believe a recent udpate to Reader has enabled this option by default. With the application running in an "AppContainer", the add-in is enable to reach the driver although it can still detect it, causing the errors you are experience.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this issue is causing to our costumers. We're looking into what we can do to resolve this issue (without having to resort to disabling a security feature of Reader).
preferences.png
preferences.png (58.71 KiB) Viewed 25144 times
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

No worries, guys. I went back to 3DxWare 10.5.12, and am not seeing the siappdll error there. No loss in functionality on my end. I'll pick up the newest version once this issue is resolved.
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:59 am One other alternative appears to be disabling the "Run in AppContainer" option in the Reader preferences panel.

We believe a recent udpate to Reader has enabled this option by default. With the application running in an "AppContainer", the add-in is enable to reach the driver although it can still detect it, causing the errors you are experience.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this issue is causing to our costumers. We're looking into what we can do to resolve this issue (without having to resort to disabling a security feature of Reader).

preferences.png
ngomes - I didn't have the PDF opening issue, just some sort of input overflow when the CPU was highly loaded, refreshing large numbers of PDF objects. By the way, I have Adobe Reader DC (2019.010.20098, latest version), and the Run in AppContainer option is only shown in my Acrobat Preferences in Win 10, not in Win 7. The Win 10 Acrobat I installed yesterday, to test this issue. I wonder if newer installations (regardless of version) are the only ones affected?
Michael Hoopes
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mhoopes ,
mhoopes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:33 am ngomes - I didn't have the PDF opening issue, just some sort of input overflow when the CPU was highly loaded, refreshing large numbers of PDF objects. By the way, I have Adobe Reader DC (2019.010.20098, latest version), and the Run in AppContainer option is only shown in my Acrobat Preferences in Win 10, not in Win 7. The Win 10 Acrobat I installed yesterday, to test this issue. I wonder if newer installations (regardless of version) are the only ones affected?
We still don't have the full picture but we can see the delay using an older build of our software (v. 10.5.12). With the newest driver (included in v. 10.5.13), we see the error message boxes. These are catching the earlier problem that caused the delay.

In all our scenarios, disabling the "Run in AppContainer" option prevents both the delay and the message boxes but this will reduce the security level Reader will run at.