Jerky graphics with Space pilot PRO on Solidworks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

astuntas

Jerky graphics with Space pilot PRO on Solidworks

Post by astuntas »

My 3d model view often gets "jerky" when rotating or zooming it in Solidworks. It simply looks like a video lag - instead of a smooth rotation I often get a few frames at a faster action (rotation or zooming). Additional notes:
1. I have been seeing this on Solidworks 2015, 2016 and 2017, it looks the same on all versions
2. My previous workstation had quadro K620, current one has P4000 video card. On both cards I tried the "Certified solidworks drivers" for that version, as well as a few newest drivers from NVidia - it didn't change anything
3. This is never noticeable at all on minor models, like simple parts
4. This is always noticeable on relatively small assemblies, which makes it strange - these assemblies are absolutely surely way below the calculational limits of the CPU/Graphic card (like 30 - 50 simple component assemblies). Jerking does not happen if I rotate view slowly, but happens if I rotate it at a natural working speed. This would suggest that video card is too slow - but again, there is no way this can be true, I am talking about really small assemblies.
5. Absolutely no lag is noticeable if I rotate the view with the regular mouse, instead of the Space pilot pro joystick. I can do whatever with the mouse - zoom, rotate, pan - no lag at all.
6. Calibration of the joystick does not help
7. The bigger the assembly, the more noticeable lag is

Is there anything I can do to try to improve the performance? Is there any way to see the GPU load?

Thank you for any advice !
NetCop

Re: Jerky graphics with Space pilot PRO on Solidworks

Post by NetCop »

Same problem here.
Normal mouse - smooth as butter.
SpaceExplorer - stuttering and almost unusable.
Same problem in SW2017 and SW2018.
Tried 3 different drivers - no change.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Both,

do you have logging enabled in the driver? Right-click to the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and make sure the option "Write Log File" is NOT active.

Let me know what you find out.
mkleinbreteler

Post by mkleinbreteler »

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem: Rotating in SolidWorks 2016 with the normal mouse is smooth but rotating with the 3D mouse (enterprise) is very jerky.
Write log file is turned off.
Hopefully there is a solution because this is not nice to work with :(

Kind regards, Mathieu
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi mkleinbreteler,

please open the task manager next to your SolidWorks and watch it while you navigate with the 3D mouse. Can you see a process using a lot of CPU?

Have you checked if the driver for your graphic card is up-to-date?
Markfowler73

Post by Markfowler73 »

I have the same issue with standard space pilot. Normal mouse rotations are buttery smooth but with space mouse it's choppy. I have a m3000m card running on Lenovo ThinkPad p70. Plenty of ram, I've tried numerous certified drivers, tried clean driver install, both of nvidea and 3d connection and still the issue persists. Very annoying when my last pc hard a much lesser graphics card and it was buttery smooth.
SCOTT_MW

Post by SCOTT_MW »

I just upgraded to SW2019 and now my motion is choppy as well. Almost unusable.

What I HAVE found out though is it runs smooth as long as I don't move my pointer at the same time. I'm using the Spacemouse and a Logitech MX mouse.

My log file check box is not checked.

Anyone find a resolution to this problem?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi SCOTT_MW,

do you have the latest driver installed? Currently it's version 10.5.10.

do you see a peak in the CPU when moving both - the 3D mouse and the cursor?

Do you have other addins installed? If yes, which ones?
ambrov

Post by ambrov »

Hi,

i have the same problem. I have all the latest drivers, i use spacemouse pro and cadmouse, log file is off, CPU shows nothing special, hardware is more than sufficient. Problem is occurring on simple models.
I have also noticed that lagging occurs when mouse pointer is moved.
Have anyone found a solution yet?
stereophonic

Post by stereophonic »

Just upgraded to Solidworks 2019 SP1.0 and updated my video driver at the same time (Certified from Solidworks 411.81, which is also called 24.21.14.1181). I'm getting the jerkiness now too and it appears to be independent of the mouse motion. I am using a SpacePilot (old... but was still working well before this) on Win10.

After experimenting with several drivers (3.16.3, 10.5.11, 10.5.12, 10.4.3) I've found 10.4.3 to be the most functional. In all the 3dconnexion test programs the motion is smooth, all the buttons work, the display works and recognizes the active program correctly.

Just wanted to add this to the conundrum: in Solidworks when I click the "Hide All Types" button (the eyeball in the top of the model view window), occasionally it will work correctly, buttery smooth. WTF! I guess this makes it hit a different part of Solidworks or the graphics driver.
n0f8r

Post by n0f8r »

I also recently upgraded my drivers and then noticed unusable jerkiness in Solidworks - I have noticed occasional bad jerkiness before, but now it becomes unusable.

It was so bad that I reverted to using my normal mouse - that was still silky smooth at least, although I hate it, anyway ....

I noticed @UtaSH comment to check CPU usage by putting task manager and solidworks side by side while reproducing the issue - it didn't tell me anything, just that Solidworks was the the only process using much CPU.

I also noted @UtaSH first reply about making sure "Write Log File" is not active - mine wasn't - but it made me think. I remembered that my data disks were a little noisy during the jerkiness - so I wondered if it could be connected to windows indexing.

So I disabled the "Windows Search" service - and now my 3DConnection mouse is working perfectly (apart from the old issue with the perspective view of course).

It's not conclusive - I'll report back here if jerkiness returns - but I wonder if perhaps there might be some sort of issue around the 3DConnection log file conflicting with Windows indexing - even when the the log file option is turned off?
n0f8r

Post by n0f8r »

Ok never mind, it seems Windows Search is not the problem, jerkiness is back after a brief period of smooth operation.

So it seems the key takeaways are that it's intermittent - and I think, that this latest driver is worse than previous versions. Intermittent jerkiness has always been there, but it wasn't that bad. Now when it happens it stops my workflow with the spacemouse entirely.
n0f8r

Post by n0f8r »

I'm fairly sure now that in my case it's a wireless reception issue.

I have the Spacemouse pro wireless, I think the receiver moved slightly or something. It was less than 4 feet from the spacemouse, but I moved it closer anyway and control has been smooth for hours now.
rafaeltgross

Post by rafaeltgross »

The issue is not the driver, not solidworks but the MOUSE
if you have a mouse with the pooling rate at 1000hz solidworks will try to calculate 1000 times per second while you turn the part with the spacemouse
and this make the solidworks jerky to use
so try to reduce the mouse pooling rate down to max. 125hz or change your mouse and be happy!!!

of course without disabling dinamic highlighting on spacemouse SW is unusable

cheers
Rafael
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

I just updated my driver to 10.5.14 and am experiencing the same issues with SolidWorks 2016. It doesn't matter whether I'm using my mouse at the same time or not. The previous version (10.5.13) worked fine.