SpacePilot With Other Apps

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi:

Unfortunately at this time, we cannot make commitments to future products or development. We will always consider input from you as we look at our plans.

Regards,

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
ericgandt

Post by ericgandt »

I installed 3DxOffice and all I get is a readme file nothing else in the start menu, how do I use 3DxOfiice, as I see nothing else as having changed with the addition of this package. I have a directory under 3DxWare named Office which contains a number of files in a Plugins Directory, but I have no way to select them or anything.

Running Windows Vista

Thanks,
ERIC
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

I am evaluating a couple of space explorer to determine if my group and perphaps my company would wish to use these, for a very specific task. So far, the lack of basic support to do what an end user coded for the navigator and the pilot, is making me question whether it is worth the money to purchase 100-400 of these devices. To get it working in our app. would take no more then the end user rbc9 managed since our app is 2D. The easier it is to plug and go the with minimal overhead and maintenance the more likely we will use these.

I would seriously suggest 3Dx look into doing this as you may be losing more business then just a couple of gamers.
agoenczi
User
User

Windows Vista

Post by agoenczi »

Hi ericgandt

the plug-in for Office is an older version and it was developed before Vista came.

See the answer of znissan.
agoenczi
agoenczi
User
User

Evaluating SpaceExplorer

Post by agoenczi »

Hi argonaut

3Dconnexion was always committed to write high quality software to support the manufactured devices in the major CAD and DCC applications.

If you would like to have support in a specific application just contact the editor of that application, or you should consider downloading our SDK and developing your own application.
agoenczi
argonaut

High quality?

Post by argonaut »

In that case can you fix my picture viewer? After, installing your high quality software all I get is a black window.

What I am hearing is that this company only cares if you are a major 3D software company. I frankly don't have the time to go back to school for four years to get a programming degree so that I can use your product. And, I don't think I can get my management to commit resources for a product that your company won't even provide a simple modification to so that I could do a basic demo of how it can be used to increase productivity.

Frankly, I can't recommend a product that has less functionality then the $50 game game controller I currently use.

jwick said "Just making something move doesn't make it useful." In my line of work that is not true. All, I need is for the knob to send arrow button signals, ctrl-z and/or anything else I bind it to. Give me basic functionality then I can talk the bosses into the programmer resources to get even more useful functions.
I guess the question is does your company want my business or not?
jwick

Post by jwick »

argonaut,

Remind me again why you can't use RBC9's solution for a proof of concept demo for your management?

What is your application?
What platform/version/etc?

Jim
3Dx Software Development
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

RBC9's solution does not support either the space explorer or windows XP pro 64bit.
My application is a proprietary software, 2D. It is ran on linux, however while some users access linux directly others use windows systems that access linux through real VNC.

For example, I use the CLAW controller, which is intended for games, it is usb and only supported in windows. I set it up through it's gui in windows and when I run the main app through VNC whatever I have bound to the windows buttons is transmitted as keystrokes to the app. Space explorer buttons also work fine in this way. My app has a pretty good system for binding functions to key strokes. So, I bind the arrow keys, and the function keys to the controller. I assign meta key to my mouse buttons those having effectively 30+ key bindings w/a push of button. My vision for the space explorer is to use the knob for the 2D moving (arrow keys) and zoom in and out (ctrl-z, shift-z). I figure the system I have setup is 30% faster then using the keyboard. And, easier on the hands.

I would like this basic functionality through both windows and linux. Although, even one would allow me to get a good demo system working. So, other end users could attest to the productivity gains.
Layer01

Post by Layer01 »

is 3Dx going to implement the features that RBC9 has been so kind as to make and which is seems EVERYONE wants?
I'd hope so seeing as it shouldn't fall to end users to hack drivers so they can use their tools how they see fit.
DaveF

Still no support for Windows 64?????

Post by DaveF »

Hi-

I made an initial post about 9 months ago regarding the need for "3dxOffice" type support for the 64 bit windows platforms (XPx64 and now Vista). I have been reading through the forums, and I see that I am not the only one that is unsatisfied with 3dconnexion's support of this issue.

I agree that the spaceball is critical for CAD applications, but also incredibly useful for Acrobat, Excel, and Internet browsers. As all windows users move are moving 64 bit OS's, I am surprised that 3dconnexion does not see this issue being important. Can I get an update on when x64 support will be available for non-CAD applications, and whether 3dx will ever look into this?

Thanks
DaveF
MeatEater

Post by MeatEater »

Hey guys,

I couldn't agree more. There is huge untapped potential here. Does anyone know a person with carpal tunnel syndrome? Using this controller to replace mouse functions is a no-brainer for those in need. That's just the tip of the iceburg. Logitech/3Dconnexion could have one of these in every engineering college computer lab if they would make it simple to bind commands. Gamers around the world would flock to this thing (or would that cut into Logitech's imitation Playstation controller market?)

I just purchased a Space Pilot assuming that 3Dx was in the process of making this adaptable to any users' needs, not just the elite software packages. I've got time to return it...I love the benefits in Maya and Photoshop, but I don't know if just that is worth what I paid for it.

You have a very unique product here with an even more unique customer base. I can't recall the last time I've seen a consumer write the software that the manufacturer should have considered essential for such a useful product.

Hey 3DConnexion! wake up and polish RCB9's software so that it will work for all of your products on all current windows platforms! Then package it with all future products. You will sell more Space Navigators that you can produce, and that will give you more than enough time to develop this perfect software that you're cooking up. More power to you for raising the bar and following your dreams! We're dreaming of making your product a household name! Why won't you help us make you rich?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I could not agree more. All I want it the same 3dx Office support that I had for 32-bit Windows XP. Maybe if we keep posting to this list, it will get some attention from the support group.
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

Being still on 32-bit, all I want is to reinstall 3DxOffice. The instruction is:
"Download 3DxOffice by going to Support , choose a 3Dx product --> choose archive --> 3DxOffice"
But all I can see to do is Support>Driver Downloads>choose SP>choose XP>then the only choice is 3DxSoftware 3.5.6, which I already have.
Is 3DxOffice now unavailable?
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

Thanks - download done, files in Explorer. How to activate now? - nothing in Autocad.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

fostertom wrote:Being still on 32-bit, all I want is to reinstall 3DxOffice. The instruction is:
"Download 3DxOffice by going to Support , choose a 3Dx product --> choose archive --> 3DxOffice"
But all I can see to do is Support>Driver Downloads>choose SP>choose XP>then the only choice is 3DxSoftware 3.5.6, which I already have.
Is 3DxOffice now unavailable?
Hi fostertom,

You should select "Archive (Legacy Software)" in Step 2 instead of Windows XP. Then you will be able to download the 3DxOffice Plug-in as well as the AutoCAD (pre-2007) Plug-in which is required for your Autodesk 2006 installation. Then you can run the installers by right-click -> open.
Robert Stadie