SpaceNavigator horizontal scrolling

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dragosh

SpaceNavigator horizontal scrolling

Post by Dragosh »

So how come there isnt horizontal scrolling available ?

I would like to scroll in browsers horizontally,

I also use OneNote free on win, my documents are wide, i would like to be able to scroll left/right with the Roll axis.
christophe

Re: SpaceNavigator horizontal scrolling

Post by christophe »

Hi Dragosh,

I'm sorry but this is not a feature that is available at this point with our driver.
I can suggest a workaround, this will not provide you the experience that you wish for but it might help a bit.

For chrome browser, you need to map one of the two buttons of the SpaceNavigator as keyboard command SHIFT. Pressing this command at the same time as moving the cap will scroll horizontally.

For onenote unfortunately I cannot provide any solution at this point.

I hope this helps a bit
jwick

Post by jwick »

I don't know why that doesn't work. I've never been able to get it to work. It seems like it should be so simple.
We do support it in some apps like Excel by building a custom solution.
I've not been able to find a general solution.
It needs research.
I use OneNote all day long. It would be nice to have.
Dragosh

Post by Dragosh »

Would be great if the Software devs would add this functionality "horizontal scroll wheel"
Dragosh

Post by Dragosh »

Holding shift i still have to move the 3dM up or down which kills productivity as it does the opposite of what you brain expects it to do.

Would be great if the Software Developers would add this functionality of "Horizontal scroll wheel"
jwick

Post by jwick »

This can be done on a app by app basis.
For Chrome, as Christophe suggested, you can use another Axis to control the horizontal scrolling.
Add this Axis to the Chrome.xml file:

Code: Select all

<Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Ry</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
            <Modifiers>
              <Modifier>Shift</Modifier>
            </Modifiers>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
I don't know why I can't attach the file... PM me if you want me to email you the entire cfg file.
NealEhardt

Post by NealEhardt »

I've tried the shift-scroll cfg fix. It doesn't work correctly when I smoothly rotate the knob from, for example, scroll-left position to scroll-up position and back. Unless I release the knob to zero before switching axes, it gets stuck scrolling the wrong axis. Pretty much unusable.

I have a $20 Logitech M510 mouse with that vertically and horizontally scrolls any application built against Windows Vista SDK or higher.

There is a horizontal scroll event that Windows sends to applications https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ousehwheel ...but 3DxWare doesn't trigger it.

Fixing this would make SpaceMouse work correctly in tens of thousands of applications. I love this hardware. Please fix the Windows driver!
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

Same here, please fix the driver so horizontal scrolling is correctly recognized.
Please !
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

I have sent a request to 3dconnexion, if everybody does the same we could get something going.
Gisman

Post by Gisman »

a small world cup
Dragosh wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:33 pm So how come there isnt horizontal scrolling available ?

I would like to scroll in browsers horizontally,

I also use OneNote free on win, my documents are wide, i would like to be able to scroll left/right with the Roll axis.
There is no dedicated horizontal scrolling function in the free version of OneNote for Windows. However, if your document content exceeds the width of the window, OneNote automatically displays a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom. You can then click and drag that scroll bar to move left and right.
Alakelele

Post by Alakelele »

The all point of getting a 3d mouse was to avoid selecting and clicking, that is a problem with the 3dconnexion drivers, I have sent a request.