persistent memory leak in Sketchup

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

balexstr

persistent memory leak in Sketchup

Post by balexstr »

Ive searched this issue but seem to be coming up empty on a solution.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5, SU 2015 15.3.329 on a macbook. I used the space navigator about a year or more ago with intermittent memory consumption issues. After trying different fixes I uninstalled it and put it away and frankly forgot about it because the uninstall it fixed the issue. I was told there were new drivers so last week i installed the latest from 3D Connexion and in 20 minutes it errors out, running out of memory just as before. Any ideas would be appreciated in solving this. I can only assume that everything isn't actually uninstalled and some bits remain cause this issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks
luminarycrush

Re: persistent memory leak in Sketchup

Post by luminarycrush »

I might be having this issue. I have been using Sketchup for awhile and have some relatively complex models. I never had the system crash due to lack of memory before; since the 3Dconnexion driver I have consistent memory consumption issues.

It just climbs and climbs until it crashes. I open a model and it consumes a few hundred M of RAM.... within minutes it starts climbing into the gigabytes. I just keep the activity monitor running now and watch it go... I've got it up to about 60G of virtual RAM consumed by Sketchup (on an 8G machine) before it starts getting crashy. If I save/exit before it gets above that level it's fine and runs great until... rinse and repeat.

I really, REALLY like the use of the 3D controller but it's incredibly annoying having to restart the application all the time. I have installed the latest driver as of a few days ago...

Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.2
luminarycrush

Post by luminarycrush »

I should add that I disabled the extension but that has made no difference..... but these issues did not crop up until the 3D controller driver. Since I've typed the previous message and not touched the application or controller the memory use has climbed from 30G to 43G.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

I just discovered that the memory leak seems to be associated with the blank initial model that SketchUp creates when it first opens. If I leave that model open, the memory usage steadily climbs until it causes system issues. But if I immediately close the initial model the memory stabilizes (within the kind of up and down one would expect from a working application), even if I open a new blank model manually or open an existing model file. I suspect there is an initialization issue with the 3dConnection SketchUp extension that causes the leak when there is an existing active model before the extension is launched.

I'd be interested to hear if others can confirm or disprove this workaround. I'll keep an eye out myself and check.

For whatever it is worth, I'm running SketchUp 17.2.2554 on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina with just 8GB of RAM, macOS 10.12.5
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Bump.

Another year, upgraded to macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and SketchUp 2018 Pro, and no change in this memory leak. Why is 3DConnection ignoring this very annoying bug? There are lots of SketchUp users who own 3DConnection devices on Mac, yet this issue has persisted now for multiple years with no change!
simoncbevans

Post by simoncbevans »

As you know from the Sketchup forum, I have experienced exactly the same problem with a brand new SpaceMouse Compact on my Mac running High Sierra and Sketchup 2018. Unfortunately, your workaround of quickly closing the blank drawing at startup doesn't cure it for me. This matter is apparently being looked at for me by the technical team but as one cannot speak to them directly I don't really know that it is. Given how long it has clearly existed without resolution, I am gearing up for reluctantly having to send the device back for a refund. I can't say I didn't half expect all this woe given the number of posts about problems with these devices that I found on the Sketchup forum. Yet frustratingly, the lucky few who have somehow managed to get their devices working say they are wondrous. Sooooo tantalising!
perryf

Post by perryf »

I have just bought a SpaceMouse Wireless Kit and not only can't I get there CadMouse to function correctly (logged a technical support ticket and awaiting a reply!) but now on first use of SketchUp without the SpaceMouse connected (but I realise the software was running in the background) for the first time ever I have run out of virtual memory and my Mac crashed... has never ever happened before installing this awful piece of kit!!!

It seems that they don't want to address the issue for Mac users, or can't?

Well I'm boxing my kit back up and sending it back for a refund as I can't keep wasting my time like this!

Sorry for rant but I can't believe the number of threads on this topic, along with CadMouse not working correctly, and no real solution being offered!!