Space Navigator as joystick in Microsoft FSX Flight Sim

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jclay13

Space Navigator as joystick in Microsoft FSX Flight Sim

Post by jclay13 »

I've been researching how to get the Space Navigator to work as a joystick in Microsoft FSX Flight Simulator. I'm not able to get it to work natively with the latest 3DxWare 10 driver and not sure if it is possible. I've found third party software such as ControlMyJoystick and would like to know if I need to go this route or if it is supported in the 3DxWare 10 software and if so what do I need to do to get it to work. FSX does not recognize the Space Navigator as a joystick and neither does my Windows 7 64-bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aspirant

Re: Space Navigator as joystick in Microsoft FSX Flight Sim

Post by Aspirant »

Hi,

I don't have one of these products yet, but I am researching this forum because I'd like to learn if I can map axes to keys for use in Half-Life 2 (and for that matter, I also use FSX, so that would also be cool). I think it is doable, but I haven't quite figured out if the assignment of axes to keys is done within the current 3DxWare 10 driver software, or whether some additional software is needed. There are posts dating back to 2008 by a member RBC9 who had a 3rd party solution to axis mapping. Not sure but it looks like some of that may have gotten built into the 3DxWare? The thread in which he detailed it is now closed and locked, and oddly at the end of it was mentioned the release of the 3DxWare 10 driver software.

If' you haven't looked in the section on Windows Profile Sharing, there are several threads about using these devices with games not listed in the short list of recognized software. Since most FSX commands are keyboard key driven, I would think it is doable once you get all the information on how to do it. Perhaps it w2ill involve a CFG file as I've read in regard to Half-Life 2 usage. I wish I knew more to help you. But I wanted to tell you about the stuff I read so far. Hope you find a solution soon, and happy flying! :)
Aspirant

Post by Aspirant »

This thread has some interesting info on how to customize the assignments.

https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... =37&t=7340
Masterson

Post by Masterson »

Cool! Thanks for the link.
Aspirant

Post by Aspirant »

You're welcome!

Just for anyone's interest, I bailed on the Space Navigator as a controller for games like Half-Life 2 shortly after buying one for testing, and returned it. I decided the controller is just too twitchy for my liking. I ended up switching to an arcade-style controller that clamps onto the front edge of my desk. It works well for Half-Life, and as far as FSX, I have a stick and throttle combination now that works quite well.
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

Aspirant and Masterson, this link works for you?
https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... =37&t=7340

The Space Navigator was very smooth/fluid when I tried it in Half Life 2, it all depends on your settings.