3DConnexion Enterprise with Alias autostudio 2018

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

deesan

3DConnexion Enterprise with Alias autostudio 2018

Post by deesan »

Hi guy,

I'm fairly new to the 3D world, I'm using Autodesk's alias autostudio (version 2018) and bought an enterprise space mouse.

The Spacemouse recognizes that I'm using Alias, although the knob and half the keys aren't working. All I can seem to do is zoom in and out but cannot pan, rotate or whatever else it's supposed to do. Keys 1 to 12 on the space mouse work, so do all the basic keyboard keys like shift / tab / ctrl / del / etc... 3D Keys on the right though don't do anything unless I bind them to custom keyboard keys but they won't work from the default 3DConnexion profile for Alias.

- Everything is checked in the advanced settings menu.
- Windows 8.1 x64
- Latest version of 3DxWare and Wincore.

Am I missing something or what?

Thank you for your help, I'd really appreciate it if this 300$+ mouse could work as intended.
UtaSH

Re: 3DConnexion Enterprise with Alias autostudio 2018

Post by UtaSH »

Hello deesan,

let us first verify the functionality of the device. Please start the 3Dconnexion viewer (from the 3Dconnexion Home panel) and see if you can navigate the turbine. Are the view keys functional here?

Next when you have Alias Autostudio active move the mouse cursor over the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and wait for the little tooltip window. it will list your device and the application that it recognizes. Next to the application's exe name it shows the name of the configuration file that it uses for this application. Please let us know what you see here.
deesan

Post by deesan »

Hi UtaSH,

1- I loaded turbine4.obj and I can see that the software is loading the file, but the scene remains empty, no turbine showing up.
2- it displays alias.exe which is correct.

I tried the spacemouse in solidworks and everything works as intended, unlike in Alias.

What's the next step?
christophe

Post by christophe »

Hi deensan,

I'm sorry for the late reply.
For Alias the Navigation is supported by Autodesk, the buttons are very limited and unfornatuly there are not lot of functions available for the 3d mouse there.
I got my hand on Alias 2018 version and tested it. I have no issue with the Navigation. Buttons command are very limited though.

The 3Dconnexion Viewer should work, if it doesn't you may want to try to use the trainer and let me know if you can perform all the actions there to make sure that your 3D mouse is working fine.