AIX 5.3 Segmentation fault on driver start as normal user

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

engineer.pete

AIX 5.3 Segmentation fault on driver start as normal user

Post by engineer.pete »

Hi,

I'm just starting to try and get some SpaceExplorers working on AIX 5.3.

I installed 3DxWareUNIX v1.2.11, our oslevel is 5300-03-00, and the prerequisite filesets are all OK. Rebooted after installation with the device plugged in like the box leaflet says.

Attempting to run xcube as a normal user complained that no driver was running. Attempting to start the driver with

Code: Select all

3dxsrv -d usb
gave a Segmentation fault (core dump). No lights were lit on the device.

Like some other forum posters, logging in as root to CDE helped somewhat - the driver started after about 30 seconds, the device lights came on and it was functional with the demo apps and Catia V5. Logging back in as a normal user after this did not change the situation, except the device lights stayed on.

Debug output from normal user login is as follows:

Code: Select all

3DxWareUNIX V1.2.11 ID 3213 log file
Process ID: 360614
 Time: 2007-10-10 11:15:12
Machineinfo 1: Systemname=AIX, Nodename=talrsdc1, Release=3
Machineinfo 2: Version=5, Machine=00C5498C4C00
Runlevel-Info:    .        run-level 2 Oct 10 09:50       2    0    S

-----------------------------------

[2007-10-10 11:15:12] 3dxsrv.c,651: displayname = :0.0
[2007-10-10 11:15:12] auth.c :: authGetUser(), FOUND: user = peter, id = dt, line = lft0, pid =   323778, host = , type = 7
[2007-10-10 11:15:12] auth.c :: authGetUser(), FOUND: user home = "/home/peter"
[2007-10-10 11:15:12] 3dxsrv.c :: startupCommandLine(), authGetUser(), user=peter
Any thoughts?

----PeterH.
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Peter,

thats no good news! I'm not sure if I could help you, but we experienced a crash here, that could probably be the same issue.

A workaround was to start the driver with the direct device node instead of "usb", like /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d /dev/mouse1
Where /dev/mouse1 is the device node for the SpaceBall. This could differ from system to system, but usually is mouse1. This helped to get rid of the "Segmentation fault".

Since this error is/was so rare I just have this workaround for you at the moment, but we're working to find a proper solution.

Please let me know if it helped!

Regards,

Christian Robl
3Dconnexion
engineer.pete

Post by engineer.pete »

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for the speedy response -- we've tried 3dxsrv -d /dev/mouse1 on all our machines and this works perfectly! If you need any more system information to help fix the error let us know.

Thanks and regards,
Peter H.
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Peter,

great to hear this workaround solves it! :) Yet its a workaround ... :?

Thank you for offering your help! I think I'll come back to you with a debug version or a test tool, since this problem seems quite consistent on your systems.

Regards,

Christian
3Dconnexion