8 way Radial Menus are useless

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Grimmy

8 way Radial Menus are useless

Post by Grimmy »

The 8 way radial menus would be fantastic if they worked just like the 4 way menus. However, with the 8 way menus, there is no text to tell me what the segment actually does. This means I'm just left with 8 little identical keyboard icons to choose from and I need to then hover over each one to see what it does.

If anyone actually tested this for usability they would see it doesn't work to speed up workflow. Please can you add text to the 8 way radial menus! I dont care how small it is, how ugly or even or if it has to reside outside the menu. The text needs to be there so I know what each segment does.

Can you guess the functionality of each segment? And this is the easy version. Remember that if these were all just keyboard shortcuts they would all be the same keyboard icon..

Cheers
UtaSH

Re: 8 way Radial Menus are useless

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Grimmy,

thank you for your feedback. We are tracking this feature request with our internal number #7439.
andhitecture

Post by andhitecture »

Cramping in text won't do us any good. It will "spill-over" the wheel or the wheel will have to get much bigger.
We need to be able to change the icons for the macros. If we can set our own icons of each micro we create that will make the 8-set-wheel usable.
Yes, this way I'm only seeing the keyboard icon on the wheel.

It can't be hard, to enable us to change the icon to our needs.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Readable text + icon is a challenge. I do think you need both. Sometimes we don't have an appropriate icon available. Here's a concept of how an 8-way with icons and text might look, using text drawn on concentric baselines:

Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

One additional thought: if user-defined icons are implemented, please consider the range of file formats in which icons are currently found, so that we are able to easily extract them from our applications. ico containers, png, bmp, extraction from exe (if possible).
Vector formats (such as svg) should also be supported, as they are the most easily scalable without loss of quality, and do not require multiple resolutions.
Michael Hoopes
Fyuzinfected

Post by Fyuzinfected »

Hi there!
Is there any news about this?
I recently purchased a CadMouse and I need to put images in the macros.
This way, without the icons in the radial menu it becomes unusable.
I work with TopSolid and I really need to be able to put the icons in the macros.
Otherwise, I will have thrown money in the trash.

Thank you.
Greetings from Portugal.

Fábio Martins
Greetings from Portugal.
Fábio Martins
3dkreations

Post by 3dkreations »

Hello to all.

Today myself tried to use radial menus and actually, I said to myself would be great it has icons.
So I logged here and saw that already this topic is suggested.

Any news if can be implemented and when?
Fyuzinfected

Post by Fyuzinfected »

Hi!
Is there any news about this?
Greetings from Portugal.
Fábio Martins
dnashj33

Post by dnashj33 »

andhitecture wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 am Cramping in text won't do us any good. It will "spill-over" the wheel or the wheel will have to get much bigger.
We need to be able to change the icons for the macros. If we can set our own icons of each micro we create that will make the 8-set-wheel usable.
Yes, this way I'm only seeing the keyboard icon on the wheel.

It can't be hard, to enable us to change the icon to our needs.
Text would be MUCH more useful than what we have now (Repetition of keyboard icons). I've been in the process of recording 3dconnexion support for 3DCoat and really want to show this 8-section menu off, but I can't, in it's current state. I can only show the 4-section menus, which are good, but 8 would impress the most, and be most helpful to the end user.

Please, 3dconnexion staff...at least let us have a text only option for the 8-section, for now.
dnashj33

Post by dnashj33 »

After some more digging, I noticed that the main problem is that 3dxWare doesn't assign the text...IF IT'S A CUSTOM MACRO. It has no problem at all displaying Text....IF IT'S NOT A CUSTOM MACRO.

PLEASE FIX, 3dconnexion. 8 Section menus are indeed useless otherwise!
dnashj33

Post by dnashj33 »

I mention this problem in the following videos:

https://youtu.be/E_IA2hGXO3g?t=524

https://youtu.be/ZS22xXt3BRo?t=67