Maya 2018 / Spacepilot PRO / doesn't work even with new drv

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Janoshx

Re: Maya 2018 / Spacepilot PRO / doesn't work even with new

Post by Janoshx »

I kind of agree that 3D connexion is not handling this in professional manner. The way how maya is built is probably the culprit in this case. Every time when maya gets an update the system breaks. Why this does not happen in rhino, 3d coat etc is a mystery for me but good example of good software design. What 3D connexion should do is that they should give beta version of driver to volunteers. They should also have better collaboration with the maya developer.

Software development is not easy, it is much easier for us to bark from bushes... Then again, after you really get used to use 3D mouse you kind of forget how to get along without one. This is the reason why i always recommend people to learn software as much vanilla as possible without bells and whistles.
I have learned to use Catia and Powermill first with spacemouse and it sure was difficult use without one...
Boban

Post by Boban »

This is what I get today from technical support:
Hi Boban
thank you for contacting the 3Dconnexion Support.

10.5.0 is not working with Maya 2018. We going to release a new version very soon (10.5.1) which also enables support for Maya 2018. During the verification of our latest driver we were working with the prerelease version of Maya 2018. Seems to be that Autodesk made bigger changes regarding the integration which caused the 3Dmouse not to work with the official release.
We are sorry for the trouble you had so far.
There is no official release date for available yet for 10.5.1. We expect that we ca release the driver during this week.

Best regards,
Oliver
Janoshx

Post by Janoshx »

The new driver 10.5.1 works in Maya 2018 WIN 10
Magnvs

Post by Magnvs »

The driver doesn't update automatically? I just realized I'm on a 10.4 driver
Maya 2018 LT was first recognized as Autocad for me, but yesterday it displayed Maya so I thought it had updated.
Still doesn't work though. I'm downloading 10.5.2 now.
Magnvs

Post by Magnvs »

Still doesn't work.
Maya LT 2018 with SM Enterprise.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Magnvs,

as far as I know the LT versions of Autodesk do not have the possibility to load a plugin. Which is needed as the support for the 3D mouse is provided by the plugin - 3DxMaya. You need to use the standard version of Maya. Maya 2018 is supported by our latest driver.
Magnvs

Post by Magnvs »

I see. Thanks for clearing that up!
I've found several posts on the autodesk forums discussing this all the way back to 2014 and it's "in the works" supposedly.
They have a poll, if anyone wants to vote it up;

https://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forum ... -mouse-etc
x4000

Post by x4000 »

UtaSH wrote:Hi Magnvs,

as far as I know the LT versions of Autodesk do not have the possibility to load a plugin. Which is needed as the support for the 3D mouse is provided by the plugin - 3DxMaya. You need to use the standard version of Maya. Maya 2018 is supported by our latest driver.
Maya 2018 LT does indeed support plug-ins, at least on windows. However, when putting the files from C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxMaya64\Contents\win64\2018\ into the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\MayaLT2018\bin\plug-ins\ folder, and then trying to enable that plugin, it says that it's not compatible:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/MayaLT2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: The plug-in is not compatible with this application (3DxMaya) //

To get to the plugins manager, go into Windows->Settings/Preferenes->Plug-Ins Manager.