Maya 2018 / Spacepilot PRO / doesn't work even with new drv

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

alex1514

Maya 2018 / Spacepilot PRO / doesn't work even with new drv

Post by alex1514 »

After I installed new drivers, my SpP still doesn't work with Maya 2018. It works with Maya 2017 update 4 though. I've uninstalled 3dconnexion drivers, uninstalled both Maya 2018 and 2017. Next I did a fresh install of Maya 2018 and new 3dconnexion drivers. And it still doesn't work. In console I get:

Code: Select all

// Error: file: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/scripts/C3Dconnexion.mel line 1411: Unable to dynamically load : C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/win64/2018/3DxMaya.mll
Nie można odnaleźć określonej procedury.
 // 
// Error: file: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/scripts/C3Dconnexion.mel line 1411: Nie można odnaleźć określonej procedury.
 (3DxMaya) // 
// Warning: file: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/scripts/C3Dconnexion.mel line 1414: No 3Dconnexion device found. Start 3DxWare and then restart Maya
 // 
Nie można odnalezc okreslonej procedury = Cannot find procedure

It looks like all the files are in their proper place at C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/ (in proper subfolders).
Boban

Re: Maya 2018 / Spacepilot PRO / doesn't work even with new

Post by Boban »

Same here. Space navigator is dead in Maya 2018 with new 10.5 drivers. I checked the files and all files naming in bellow errors are in place.

// Error: file: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/scripts/C3Dconnexion.mel line 1411: Unable to dynamically load : C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/win64/2018/3DxMaya.mll
The specified procedure could not be found.
//
// Error: file: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/scripts/C3Dconnexion.mel line 1411: The specified procedure could not be found.
(3DxMaya) //
// Warning: file: C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/scripts/C3Dconnexion.mel line 1414: No 3Dconnexion device found. Start 3DxWare and then restart Maya

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 35: Unable to dynamically load : C:/ProgramData/Autodesk/ApplicationPlugins/3DxMaya/Contents/win64/2018/3DxMaya.mll
The specified procedure could not be found.
Boban

Post by Boban »

Works great in Maya 2017 though
Janoshx

Post by Janoshx »

Tested on maya 2018 WIN10 and the driver 10.5.0 is not working
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

Just adding another confirmation, it works fine in Maya 2017, but I get script error in Maya 2018, and the 3D mouse doesn't work. Spacemouse Enterprise here.
alex1514

Post by alex1514 »

Any chance for a solution? I would hate to be stuck with a $450 paperweight...
the_kdoggy

Post by the_kdoggy »

ditto with SM Enterprise and 2017 working, 2018 same error code about 3dxMaya
alex1514

Post by alex1514 »

So... 5 days. Other reports of the same problem. 200+ views.

No solution. Not even an answer.

I think I'm ready to cut my losses and put this thing on ebay.

It's a great tool - when it works. Right now I can't call it a reliable solution. Every time Autodesk updates Maya I need to switch my entire work style back to keyboard and mouse. And then, after about 2 months it takes to get a working driver, I need to switch back to using it. All the time i save by using Spacepilot, I loose again by having to get used to diferent work styles back and back again. Working in professional market I simply can not understand how you (3dconnexion) don't get to work more closely with Autodesk, so you could get driver to work on beta versions of Autodesk software and be ready on release date. Until you do - I'm out.
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

I wish it worked, but honestly, they haven't even released the official bonus tools for 2018 yet, and most plugins don't support 2018 yet. It is hardly like the Spacemouse is the ONLY thing keeping anyone from moving over to 2018 the month it comes out. Undoubtedly, from previous experience, it is going to take them WAY longer than it should to get drivers working in 2018, but it's a bit extreme to make it sound like it is a useless device if it doesn't work with the newest software instantly.
Boban

Post by Boban »

Mayauser wrote:I wish it worked, but honestly, they haven't even released the official bonus tools for 2018 yet, and most plugins don't support 2018 yet. It is hardly like the Spacemouse is the ONLY thing keeping anyone from moving over to 2018 the month it comes out. Undoubtedly, from previous experience, it is going to take them WAY longer than it should to get drivers working in 2018, but it's a bit extreme to make it sound like it is a useless device if it doesn't work with the newest software instantly.

Why is it extreme? If other peripherals like mouse keyboard or even joysticks work flawlessly every time there is a new patch or new versions of programs or games, I don't see a reason why spacemouse drivers can't.
Besides, there is another issue with this company and that is that no one is responding like this forum is dead for them. I decided to call them, so I did that yesterday, I explained my issue with 2018/driver and all I achieved is that the guy on the other side took my personal information like I called a police station, although I did carefully choose technical support number. Upon asking him what will happen now he replied that he will inform further, and he can not tell me when they will fix the problem, not even approximately. So I called for nothing. I also appointed him to this thread and he said they will look into.
Another problem is that on their main page they are selling hardware with driver version 10.5.0 which is supposed to to be compatible with Maya 2018 according to their claims, but it's not as we can see it.
clareswift

Post by clareswift »

Already received updated plug-ins for Maya 2018 and as ever the last plugin/device/driver is ALWAYS 3d Mouse- one day a competitor will emerge, possibly more expensive But, if they issue drivers on time they'll win hands down. Always being late will destroy any customer loyalty
Boban

Post by Boban »

I communicating with technical support but they reply like every third day, and also their answer is always generic one. I complain that latest driver doesn't work with Maya 2018, and they reply did that I should install 10.5.10 then I need to tell them that this version doesn't exist on their page, and after 3 days they reply "we apologise you're right" and then after a week of correspondence we finally came to a zero point from where we started a week ago. :evil:
Boban

Post by Boban »

I suspect that this guy Utash is on a vacation, the only one around responsible for the forum.
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

Boban wrote:Why is it extreme? If other peripherals like mouse keyboard or even joysticks work flawlessly every time there is a new patch or new versions of programs or games, I don't see a reason why spacemouse drivers can't.
It's extreme, because

1: It's not like anything is keeping you from using Maya 2017, in which the 3D mouse still works just fine.

2: All those devices you named, are generic input devices, which are just using the direct OS support, and need no additional drivers. If Maya supported the SM as a generic input device, it would be working right now too. In fact, a million years ago, back in the SGI days, I actually just wrote my own driver for the original Spaceball, in nothing but MEL, because that was the only way to get it to work, and because Maya just treated it as a generic input device. Maya no longer supports the SM that way, which is why they have to write specific software.

3: It's not like the device is non-functional across the board. It works fine in Inventor 2018, Mudbox 2018, Solidworks, and a bunch of other programs. This is a Maya problem, not a release of completely nonfunctional drivers.

Look, I'm not arguing against the fact that their support sucks. Clearly it does. They seem perpetually understaffed, and it is painfully clear that their primary focus is a few specific CAD applications, with everything else taking a back seat. Which is extremely frustrating for everyone not using those few priority CAD apps. However, this is hardly a surprise with specialty hardware. I remember when this was even the case with Wacom tablets, before their mainstream appeal. I'm not making excuses for them, but it is what it is, and it probably isn't going to change unless these things get massively more popular than they are, and they sell a lot more, letting them staff up.

I've been using some flavor of these devices since 1998, and while I do understand the frustration, I just kind of have to roll my eyes every time I see a post like yours, which I see a lot, declaring the device a useless paperweight, because it doesn't instantly support the newest version of a particular program the instant it comes out. It will support Maya 2018 eventually, and until then, Maya 2017 Update 4 is just as functional as it was two whole months ago when it was released.
Boban

Post by Boban »

I wasn't pissed off because the driver didn't support Maya 2018. I get that, as I said I ask them politely when, they didn't know, but then all of a sudden on 8th August 10.5.0 came out which they claim supports Maya 2018. I installed it, but my Space Navigator still doesn't work. I came here for a solution, and today even after 10 days now, they even don't reply with simple "guys we are working on it". That lack of professional attitude, expected from a renowned company is what pisses me off.