3DxWare 10 for Linux?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

rainy

3DxWare 10 for Linux?

Post by rainy »

Do you plan to release a new driver version for linux?
The user interface looks kind of old school.
Additionally I miss some basic functionality like controlling browsers as mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10820

Thank you for a short update!
UtaSH

Re: 3DxWare 10 for Linux?

Post by UtaSH »

Hi rainy,

currently there are no plans to update the Linux driver.
rainy

Post by rainy »

UtaSH wrote: currently there are no plans to update the Linux driver.
Hi UtaSH,
thank you for the update!
Could you guess the percentage of Linux users amongst 3dconnexion customers? Maybe 5%?

The Windows version is so much easier to use but I understand there are too few users.
At least there is a working Linux driver :)

I hope to see an update in the next few years. Other users could use this thread to show their interest.
m_a_s

Post by m_a_s »

rainy wrote:Other users could use this thread to show their interest.
Well,I for one am interested. Especially if I could get a 3d mouse to work with ParaView on Linux.
Suryawanshi

Post by Suryawanshi »

Of course people are interested...
Many animation and VFX studios have linux platform and am sure many artists wud be interested. I am looking to get myself one but need to confirm from IT dept. whether it is supported at the studio.
Ericlobster

Post by Ericlobster »

m_a_s wrote:
rainy wrote:Other users could use this thread to show their interest.
Well,I for one am interested. Especially if I could get a 3d mouse to work with ParaView on Linux.
Same here. Count me in as well.
Usteinhoff

Post by Usteinhoff »

Hi, another one votes for Linux....
steosch

Post by steosch »

Well, count me in as well. My two cents on the current Linux driver:

I'm running Nastran/Patran (commerical FEA package for structural analysis) under RHEL 7.4, which is the most recent release of RHEL as of the date of this post. Most professionals in the aerospace sector I know of run finite element analysis under Linux for performance and stability reasons. Patran is a graphical pre-/postprocessor and usually is paired with a spacemouse device for convenience reasons.

The current version of the linux driver can be made to work with Patran up to version 2016, as up to this release also Patran used the openmotive library. Since last year's update (V2017), even Patran now switched to the QT-library to provide a common user I/F for both Linux and Windows users (finally!). This finally renders the current (outdated) spacemouse driver poinless, as it cannot connect to any version of Patran newer than V2016.

I suppose spacemouse devices are intended to be used mainly by professionals. To my opinion it's a pitty that the Linux driver support has been dropped by 3Dconnexion, as we can expect, that even commercial engineering S/W previously working with the linux driver can't be paired with a spacemouse device anymore...

Finally I'd like to note, that also my CAD-S/W can be run on both Linux and Windows. Same issue there.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

me too
interested in Linux drivers.
rgloor

Post by rgloor »

Hi everybody

I am also very interested in a new/working Linux driver.
Especially since with the libinput library, which is working under wayland AND now also working with X.org/X11 (xf86-input-libinput). And most distros delivering libinput with their X.org Systems.

It would be great to work with FreeCAD (3D Solid Modeler), as well as other apps like google earth, etc.

More and more people in general but also professionals are switching to Linux for various reasons.

Thanks in advance for considering it.

Greetings from Switzerland,
Rolf
rainy

Post by rainy »

Hi @UtaSH,

could you please provide a way to downgrade the Space Navigator firmware?
I think newer devices have changed so they can not be used with xf86-input-joystick anymore.
The driver reports 0 axes where older ones reported 6 axes.

In this forum someone reported the same problem(2016): https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/3dco ... eine-maus/
This is the way it should work (2017): https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SpaceNavig ... t-joystick

I still hope wayland and libinput get support.
Thank you
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello rainy,

there is no way to downgrade the firmware of the SpaceNavigator. We have a tool to flash devices, but it would only put a newer firmware if even possible.
antonio.soares

Post by antonio.soares »

One more for Linux driver update!
bboett

Post by bboett »

Hello,
well i am thinking about to buy a 3D mouse, but seeing the age if the drivers ...
so yes, up to date drivers are a must for me!

Greetings Bruno
Reece

Post by Reece »

Such a disappointing purchase that it won't even work with Linux versions of Firefox or Chrome. :cry: I can get it working with the demo but what practical use is that if I can't use it in application? ATM it is an expensive DOOR STOP and a regretful purchase! :x A driver that would make it work in a browser so I can work in Onshape would be great. :D